New Mexico Pronghorn - NR Unguided

Residents are spoiled rotten. Find a guy with antelope on his land, ask to hunt, buy tag, kill antelope. Or draw from 84% of the tags allotted for public land. Youth hunts are easy draw too.
A huge part of that 84% goes to resident landowners, who then sell them. Us non-landowning little people get a fraction of those tags.

We went DIY, private land, landowner tags a couple of times under the old system. It was reasonable back then and we could make it out in a long days drive.

A huge part of that 84% goes to resident landowners, who then sell them. Us non-landowning little people get a fraction of those tags.
Where did you read that? Sounds like the talking points I have been reading from New Mexico Wildlife Federation.

Last edited:
None of that 84% includes tags that can be transferred, or private land only, or anything else like that.

I was in error about the 84% of draw tags - landowners don't dip directly into those. Rather, their plethora of tags reduces the pool available for draw applicants, R and NR. But one should not expect changes - for some landowners, the dollars that those tags bring reflect a huge portion of the income for the property.

OP I know deadline is past and yes odds are mostly terrible for NRs but... put in! Seriously it's just a random draw, find a few units with decent public land and enough tags for NRs to have a shot and go for it.

I drew rifle antelope in a North East/East Central unit in 2019. I had way too much fun on that hunt. I'll put in for rifle antelope in NM every year from now until I don't hunt anymore, because even if I only draw one more time in the next thirty years it'd be worth it. Plenty of other places to chase tags/bucks in the meantime!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back