New Mexico: ORYX

Congratulations on a nice trophy and some awesome table fare. I have helped on three hunts in there and it is a neat experience and well run. Enjoy the meat it is so mild.

My father and I drew a tag for this year on the Stallion Range and highly looking forward to it. Thanks for posting this thread and information. What city did you stay in for lodging during your trip?

My father and I drew a tag for this year on the Stallion Range and highly looking forward to it. Thanks for posting this thread and information. What city did you stay in for lodging during your trip?

Since he hasn't replied yet I'll butt in. He ended up hunting Rhodes canyon, which is probably 100 miles from Stallion. For the Stallion gate hunts a lot of people stay in Soccoro, about 30 miles away. Hotels, restaurants, etc. You can also camp on BLM right outside the gate, no facilities, just desert.

Good luck!

Sorry, I didn't see your question sooner, but @jrabq gave you good info. I stayed in Ruidoso and even that was a bit of a drive to the RCanyon gate, Stallion is a lot further west. The experience is great and the meat is amazing.

We've been eating oryx lately and it has been fantastic. The other night I cooked up a couple of backstrap steaks and my wife suggested I kick the cows out of the pasture and raise oryx, so I'm guessing she's a fan of oryx meat also.
View attachment 169079
Interesting, looks kinda like pork, maybe just the picture but looks mouth watering. Did a road trip through NM this spring and spotted an oryx along the road on the way to White Sands, first one for all of us. Told the kids I could try to hunt them, but they said no, too majestic. Guessing they might change their mind if they tried some!

Beautiful hunt and photos.

If you've got any backstrap left, give this a try.

Simple, but delicious. I've done it with my oryx a couple times. I know I will probably never shoot another one so I have been savoring the meat.

Since he hasn't replied yet I'll butt in. He ended up hunting Rhodes canyon, which is probably 100 miles from Stallion. For the Stallion gate hunts a lot of people stay in Soccoro, about 30 miles away. Hotels, restaurants, etc. You can also camp on BLM right outside the gate, no facilities, just desert.

Good luck!
Sorry for the delay in response. Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. I think that is the town where we are leaning toward staying after looking at the slim options.

Sorry, I didn't see your question sooner, but @jrabq gave you good info. I stayed in Ruidoso and even that was a bit of a drive to the RCanyon gate, Stallion is a lot further west. The experience is great and the meat is amazing.
Not a problem at all. We are really looking forward to both the experience and hopefully the meat. Thank you for the information.

As for hunting a few thoughts:
1. Don't shoot the first one, my hunt lasted 30 minutes and I shot a very nice cow, but still over too soon.
2. Learn to field judge. I saw one guy shoot a brownie that had 12" horns.
3. Head east and find a place to glass.
4. Get to the gate early, real early.

I stayed in Socorro myself at a hotel. I dressed it on my own, about the size of a cow elk. Have a couple of 80qt coolers with ice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back