New Mexico Landowner Tag resell?

TN VOL

Hey guys, I’m thinking of purchasing a NM landowner elk tag for next year or at least committing to one that a landowner has before the draw..so if I draw can I sell the landowner tag to someone else? Or transfer it to a friend or family member? Wasn’t sure how that worked
Good luck in the draws!

I'm pretty sure the landowner is in charge of the tag and who uses it. I would think the landowner has to authorize the transfer if you want to give his or her tag to a third party. Could be wrong.

Depending on how you plan to do this, it may not be possible. From the regs:

"Hunters may not hold both a private-land elk license and a draw elk license in the same license year and may not exchange a draw license for a private-land license."

So if you buy your private-land elk license, you can't get a draw tag. Your best bet, if the landowner is willing, is to commit to buying his/her tag only if you don't draw a tag.

Unless something has changed, or I misunderstand something, both of the above answers are incorrect.

The landowner does not have a tag. He has a “voucher”. You buy the “voucher”, and now it’s yours to do with as you please UNTIL you “validate” it. Validating it is basically buying the tag, using the “voucher”. As long as you have not validated the “voucher”, you may enter the draw(because you do not posses an elk license) and you may sell the “voucher” if you like. If you do not draw and want to use the “voucher” for yourself, you will “validate” it through the NMGF website, and at that point you will have to PAY NMGF the appropriate fee for the elk license(standard or Q/HD) and they will send you a normal elk license.

If it is a voucher for a “ranch only” license, then the landowner is still in charge of who may enter his private property, so in that case, you’d definitely want to coordinate with him on re-sale. If it is a “unit-wide” voucher, then the landowner must allow anyone possessing a drawn, or purchased, “unit-wide” license onto his property starting ten days prior to the season and running through the end of it. If that’s the case, he can’t keep any other hunters off of his property, nor does the person you sell the voucher to have to use that landowner’s property anyway, therefore the landowner has no control over what you do with the voucher once you purchase it.

All that said, I do think it is a crying shame that all the landowner vouchers that exist in NM don’t take a single person out of the draw. You can secure your tag, then apply with me and dilute my odds, and if you draw, sell your voucher(to someone else who diluted my draw odds), or if you don’t draw, use your voucher.

Last edited:
Unless something has changed, or I misunderstand something, both of the above answers are incorrect.

The landowner does not have a tag. He has a “voucher”. You buy the “voucher”, and now it’s yours to do with as you please UNTIL you “validate” it. Validating it is basically buying the tag, using the “voucher”. As long as you have not validated the “voucher”, you may enter the draw(because you do not posses an elk license) and you may sell the “voucher” if you like. If you do not draw and want to use the “voucher” for yourself, you will “validate” it through the NMGF website, and at that point you will have to PAY NMGF the appropriate fee for the elk license(standard or Q/HD) and they will send you a normal elk license.

If it is a voucher for a “ranch only” license, then the landowner is still in charge of who may enter his private property, so in that case, you’d definitely want to coordinate with him on re-sale. If it is a “unit-wide” voucher, then the landowner must allow anyone possessing a drawn, or purchased, “unit-wide” license onto his property starting ten days prior to the season and running through the end of it. If that’s the case, he can’t keep any other hunters off of his property, nor does the person you sell the voucher to have to use that landowner’s property anyway, therefore the landowner has no control over what you do with the voucher once you purchase it.

All that said, I do think it is a crying shame that all the landowner vouchers that exist in NM don’t take a single person out of the draw. You can secure your tag, then apply with me and dilute my odds, and if you draw, sell your voucher, or if you don’t draw, use your voucher.
Great Info! Thank You!..Yeah when I think about it that way it is ridiculous. The whole landowner tag deal is crazy...even non trophy unit landowner tags gave doubled in price I was told of late. I've putting in for NM for several years and have never drawn..I got the itch to go to NM just unsure if I want to fork over the dough just for a voucher to buy a tag...

All that said, I do think it is a crying shame that all the landowner vouchers that exist in NM don’t take a single person out of the draw. You can secure your tag, then apply with me and dilute my odds, and if you draw, sell your voucher, or if you don’t draw, use your voucher.
Understand that the Landowner supplies information to NM as to who he sold the tag to. Or at least the LO is supposed to. I'd do my best to get this verified before you spend any money.

Great Info! Thank You!..Yeah when I think about it that way it is ridiculous. The whole landowner tag deal is crazy...even non trophy unit landowner tags gave doubled in price I was told of late. I've putting in for NM for several years and have never drawn..I got the itch to go to NM just unsure if I want to fork over the dough just for a voucher to buy a tag...
I have NO problem with issuing landowner vouchers. I DO WISH THEY REDUCED DEMAND IN THE DRAW.

If it makes you feel any less guilty, I’ve drawn two NM elk tags and one in AZ. Of course in all likelihood the tag you’re buying is better than any of my three draws. I apply for high draw odds tags.

Understand that the Landowner supplies information to NM as to who he sold the tag to. Or at least the LO is supposed to. I'd do my best to get this verified before you spend any money.
I’ve never done it, but I think he just sells a confirmation number. Nonetheless, the way I described it is how it is supposed to work if no one is trying to screw anyone else. I do think it would be possible for a land owner to sell a voucher 100 times before anyone validated it and whoever validated it first would get the tag. However, I think at that point the landowner would get his pants sued off and loose a lot lore than he sold that tag for 100 times.

But hey, let’s just say the landowner has to tell NMGF who the tag is valid for. The landowner(who apparently didn’t want to shoot he elk himself) already got paid by the original customer, and after he has been paid(which is what he wanted) he is supposedly going to have a problem with what name he gives NMGF? This is especially absurd if it is a unit wide voucher, where he has opened up his land to anyone with a tag and suddenly he cares whose name is one the one he already sold?

Last edited:
I’ve never done it, but I think he just sells a confirmation number. Nonetheless, the way I described it is how it is supposed to work if no one is trying to screw anyone else. I do think it would be possible for a land owner to sell a voucher 100 times before anyone validated it and whoever validated it first would get the tag. However, I think at that point the landowner would get his pants sued off and loose a lot lore than he sold that tag for 100 times.

But hey, let’s just say the landowner has to tell NMGF who the tag is valid for. The landowner(who apparently didn’t want to shoot he elk himself) already got paid by the original customer, and after he has been paid(which is what he wanted) he is supposedly going to have a problem with what name he gives NMGF? This is especially absurd if it is a unit wide voucher, where he has opened up his land to anyone with a tag and suddenly he cares whose name is one the one he already sold?
I've done it multiple times and your explanation is exactly how it works.

The draws will be out online before the LO gets theirs in the mail.
You can contact the LO contact and work out a option, so if you don't draw....maybe. But they will not know if they got any,til they have them in hand.

Hank is right. LO authorizations are late coming out. I would apply and then if you draw, the LO won't have any trouble selling to someone else. If not, youll still be able to get a tag.

The draws will be out online before the LO gets theirs in the mail.
You can contact the LO contact and work out a option, so if you don't draw....maybe. But they will not know if they got any,til they have them in hand.
According to my understanding the only real question is for ranches that get fewer than one voucher per year, in which case those get drawn in their own system. For ranches that get one tag, or two, or ten, they expect a similar number this year, and outfitters contract to buy whatever is issued and I’m betting that an awful lot of land owner vouchers are already spoken for whether they get issued by NMGF before the public draw or not. It seems like the OP has an opportunity to secure one, and it seems as if waiting until after the draw might negatively impact that security. I could be miss understanding something.

Every ranch has to apply each year. It is not automatic. True most get what they did last year. But not always.
I would be on the phone calling to see who has their tags spoken for. Not all landowners like outfitters.

Sounds like a great way to guarantee an elk hunt. I have never even looked into this option before. I knew it existed but assumed all those tag vounchers would be going for "premium" money. And no hunt is a sure thing nowadays, not even an outfitted $25k hunt in the wilderness through some big TV personality show supporter.

Elk vouchers do go for a premium price in the sought after units. Around here an archery unit wide voucher only, goes for about $7000 - $8000 and they don’t last but a day or two.

Hey guys, I’m thinking of purchasing a NM landowner elk tag for next year or at least committing to one that a landowner has before the draw..so if I draw can I sell the landowner tag to someone else? Or transfer it to a friend or family member? Wasn’t sure how that worked
Good luck in the draws!
Hello, I am new here on hunttalk forum. Wanted to offer my experience regarding New Mexico landowner elk tags. I am a NM land owner (small acreage) and have been in the system for many years and enjoyed several hunts in the Pecos Wilderness. It seems like I get a voucher every 3-4 years even though I renew my application every year. With that being said, I won’t know if I get a voucher or what kind of voucher until June 1st. This info is also posted online. Who received a voucher, how many and what kind.

I would like to find a forum or group or advice where I could trade my “potential” LO elk tag with another LO elk tag in NV or CO or ID or WY or MT or UT… any ideas, suggestions.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back