Caribou Gear Tarp

New Mexico First Timer

jde512

I'm trying to make sense out of the data for elk units in New Mexico and hope some of you can help me sort out a couple of questions.

1) On the ranches with Landowner tags, are the ones with the UW designation open to anyone with a tag for that unit, or does it mean that the folks who buy tags from the landowner have access to both that ranch and any public land in that unit?

2) Does anyone have any general comments about elk hunting in unit 23, especially the northern end of the unit?

1) Yes - the ranches with unit wide tags are open to the public, and the hunters who buy those authorizations are able to hunt the whole unit.

2) I can't help you with Unit 23. I've only hunted 16-E, 15 and 13.

How would you rate the three units you've hunted in? We are a group of four novice elk hunters that will be doing a backpack archery hunt this fall. I'm trying to narrow down the units with "S" either-sex tags that have decent draw odds and preferably some wilderness area so we can stay away from the 4-wheeler crowds.

Do you have a preference about early September vs. mid-late September?

I appreciate any input.

16-E is mostly private property, I believe.

15 has a lot of public land, and a lot of dirt roads. If you do your research, you can find pockets of state or other public land that will require you to walk into. Otherwise, you will find lots of road and ATV hunters. Climb the hills and get into to the back canyons to find the elk.

13 is similar to 15. Get into the National Forest and walk far away from the roads. There are fewer elk taken in 13, if I recall the harvest numbers correctly.

Study maps for water sources - that is the best tip I can give you.

My Buddy hunted in New Mexico he love it he went with a guide service. he said that he saw a ton of Trophy bulls while archery hunting there. He said that it was the must phyiscal thing that he had very done High MT and deep valleys. He said that he can't get the sound of the bull out of his head . He's hooked. he said that he has to go back to hunt some more of those big bulls!

JDE....I hunted 23 last year. You do not want to hunt that unit unless you are a very early hunter. Place is a zoo in the rifle season. Everyone crowded in Luna. On both sides of the town. The blue...down a bit....is dry...very dry. I think it would be great to hunt that unit on opening day...of the opening hunt...of the season. But that would be it for me. I will not go back to that unit. It is an easy tag to draw...but not one to brag about at all. Now...I did learn the surrounding units well...and there is great hunting all around it.

Cheers
Roadrip

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back