New Mexico Elk

mtnmike

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a Private Land Owner Voucher for New Mexico this year. I still will accumulate Preference Points for Wyoming(I have 2 now) in hopes drawing an elusive Unit 7 Tag. But for now, looks like I am going to NM in October. I have a place on my wall reserved fo a Nice Bull. I hope it pays off!!

Depending on what happens with SB 196 this may be the cheapest that you will see the landowner tags for a long time. If I passes and I don't draw any other hunts I may try to find a landowner tag myself if they haven't already gone up by then.

Depending on what happens with SB 196 this may be the cheapest that you will see the landowner tags for a long time. If I passes and I don't draw any other hunts I may try to find a landowner tag myself if they haven't already gone up by then.

That is what I am thinking!!

Mike,

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for the landowner tag?

I've concidered this route and am a member of hunting fool. Seems like some of the best areas cost upwards of $5,000 last year, no telling what that will be moving forward.

Mike,

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for the landowner tag?

I've concidered this route and am a member of hunting fool. Seems like some of the best areas cost upwards of $5,000 last year, no telling what that will be moving forward.

$2800.00 for mine. Sounds like a lot, but to hunt private land it will be worth it. Every time I have hunted Private Land out of State I Tagged out.

I went for public draw , sadly with an outfitter. I just don't have the time to get there and scout. But with a one on one hunt, I am looking for a greart time as a 65th birthday treat. I'll be moving tyhere to retire and get to know how to hunt on my own. We'll see what happens with the draw. I may then have to go to a land ownners tags hunt if I can find the right price.

This is probably the last year NR in NM will have a fightin chance to draw a tag. with SB196 up for vote
there are many many residents pushing for this.
Good luck this year.....The deadline is eairlyer this year March 28.

It seems to me that this will likely backfire for the state of NM and end up being good for states like CO and WY that cater more to the non res hunter. I just don't know where the money lost from those 8-10% of NR tags lost will end up coming from but propably the taxpaying residents that voted for it in the first place is my guess. I do think that most of those hunters will still end up hunting but just not in NM, It seems simple but then you add up the money spent by NR hunters at motels, gas stations, restaurants, taxidermist, meat processors, bars, etc and the economic impact will definetly hurt more than just the cost of the tags. I'm sure Colorado will be happy to sell more otc elk tags and Wyoming will be happy sell more leftover antelope tags to make up the difference. I guess if you are after Oryx or Barbaray sheep your stuck.

I'm planning on putting in for NM this year and then doing ID or OR O.T.C. if/when I don't draw. It's basically a shot in the dark in NM right? It sounds like this is a good year to throw my number into the hat :)

I'm done wit NM if this 2% to non-res thing passes just means more tags for landowners and the cost of the hunt just went up by $2,000 to $4,500 thats not hunting to me. What happened to the good old hand shake. I say Montana, they decided to go the other way with there tags.

If this id gonna turn into another one of the debates about how many tags the residents and non residents should be allocated I am gonna make some popcorn.

I still get bent about the states controlling the allocation of game on federal land but Big Fins rebuttle last time was so solid based on law, that I had no choice but to roll over like a puppy dog.

NM please do whatever you want the tags. Although I will certainly miss hunting your beautiful state, I will gladly take my cash elsewhere if its not welcome.

I am a member of a couple of hunting organizations in southern NM. Our feeling on S
B 196 is to have the 90-10 split and have 10% going to NR and leaving the Outfitters out of the deal all together. If someone wants to hire an outfitter they are more than welcome to after they draw a permit. The ranching and outfitting industry have a very strong and wealthy lobby, and I hope we have a positive outcome.

I just ordered my copy of the regs... Does anybody know if you only have a shot at your 1st hunt choice?? That's how it is in most states. Or do you have a small chance to draw each one of your choices, in order 1st, 2nd, 3rd??

I just ordered my copy of the regs... Does anybody know if you only have a shot at your 1st hunt choice?? That's how it is in most states. Or do you have a small chance to draw each one of your choices, in order 1st, 2nd, 3rd??

When they draw your name they look to see if your 1st choice is available, if not they go to your second and then your third if that is not available. In other words, your name only gets plucked from the hat one time.

Hey MtnMike. If you dont mind me asking but what ranch did you buy your tag for near Cimarron. I use to guide for a ranch next to Cimarron for a few years.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back