Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Mexico Elk - Unit 52

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Dang, we lost yet another first-time poster, most likely due to a tragic accident. What are the odds so many first-time posters with a tag are encountering untold tragedies?

Rothy, buddy, RIP. You were one of the good ones taken from the forum much too soon.
😂

It was a fun hunt. We were into elk about every day. We just could not get anything to come into our calls, so we did quite a bit of stalking to try and get into range.
I have done some research on 52 and what I’ve found says it is a rugged but good unit to see elk. If and when we ever get drawn we will be hunting with a rifle and hope to find a few herds we can get close enough to get a shot.

I hunted 52 a couple years ago during the muzzy season and honestly the pressure was as high as most otc hunts I’ve done in other states. With such a short season and high pressure I apply elsewhere now. The crappy draw odds certainly don’t reflect the quality if you do draw but the same can be said for a lot of hunts nowadays.

It was a fun hunt. We were into elk about every day. We just could not get anything to come into our calls, so we did quite a bit of stalking to try and get into range.
Hope my bit of beta helped out! It was definitely hard, my hunt came down to the last minute where we set up an ambush above a small wallow and she came running up about an hour before sunset on our last day. Sure you can tell with my pitch black photo after she finally fell after dark! Fun pack out with the full moon and cayotes howlin'!

I hunted 52 a couple years ago during the muzzy season and honestly the pressure was as high as most otc hunts I’ve done in other states. With such a short season and high pressure I apply elsewhere now. The crappy draw odds certainly don’t reflect the quality if you do draw but the same can be said for a lot of hunts nowadays.
We like 52, but may not hunt it again. Known to hold bulls, not as many big ones. A lot depends on how the herds move back and forth to and from Colorado. We like to camp and fish up there, but may not be smart enough to be able to find bulls up there. A cow hunt may be more like it for my wife and me, as we are getting pretty familiar with the area. So much depends on water, and your willingness to go into the woods. Big, rugged country (just like 51 to the south).

Hi there everyone I drew a elk tag in 52 this year in October and was wondering if anyone knows a decent spot to hunt around and park a 30ft camper

Last edited:
Do you think I can make it work with the spots you know?
I'm sorry my sarcastic nature got the best of me. I do not live in, nor am I familiar with this area. This was my best effort at giving you a hard time. Most folks around here tend to think of it being not kosher to ask others for a good hunting spot.

Last edited:
I'm sorry my sarcastic nature got the best of me. I do not live in, and am not familiar with this area. This was my best effort at giving you a hard time. Most folks around here tend to think of it being not kosher to ask others for a good hunting spot.
Better than me. I was going to say I know lots of places to park a 35 ft camper but not a 30 footer.

I'm sorry my sarcastic nature got the best of me. I do not live in, and am not familiar with this area. This was my best effort at giving you a hard time. Most folks around here tend to think of it being not kosher to ask others for a good hunting spot.
Yeah, I figured you were trying to be sarcastic but it’s all good. All I was asking for is a good spot to park a 30 foot rig so I’m not scrambling around looking for a spot I wasn’t asking for a good hunting spot.

Yeah, I figured you were trying to be sarcastic but it’s all good. All I was asking for is a good spot to park a 30 foot rig so I’m not scrambling around looking for a spot I wasn’t asking for a good hunting spot.
Wouldn't that be the same thing?

Hi there everyone I drew a elk tag in 52 this year in October and was wondering if anyone knows a decent spot to hunt around and park a 30ft camper
just north of Canon Plaza is a camping area where you can park a trailer. As to hunting the area, my success makes my advice somewhat suspect.

I don’t want any of your guys honey holes I just wanted to know where a place is to park a trailer but it’s ok to whoever is hating cause I drew 2 good tags and you guys didn’t I’m sorry better luck next year guys keep hating haha I’ll find my own spot like I always do

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back