New Mexico Barbary Sheep

We have been scouting and looking for one. Me and my hunting partner are challenged when it comes to mobility but were looking and hoping.
Good luck, Chuck. I think you’ll have a fine time, no matter the outcome.

Only residents
I don't see anything about residents only on the otc tag, but I haven't tried to purchase either.

Is anyone applying for the female/immature barbary tags this year? I'm curious what the odds will be on it, I think I'm going to put the kids in for it.

The OTC is for residents only. It is still $50. Im handling it as a convenience if I should run into one. We do make some special tips sometimes. I did call the local Zoo and they will take the meat and organs (heart, liver, kidneys) and the hide. They only ask that you quarter it.

The OTC is for residents only. It is still $50. Im handling it as a convenience if I should run into one. We do make some special tips sometimes. I did call the local Zoo and they will take the meat and organs (heart, liver, kidneys) and the hide. They only ask that you quarter it.
1677400397150.png
It let me(NR) put a tag in the cart and go all the way to check out. Its $370+ for NR. Seems like a waste of time if you plan to trash the meat...

The OTC is not only for non-residents. There are certain districts where that tag is valid. It is valid year round. I believe these are the areas where they compete with the desert bighorn. It's a really fun hunt, as long as the fun doesn't hinge on being successful. They make tasty pepper sticks and summer sausage.

Can't believe you'd throw your meat to a zoo... barbary taste good. Especially the ewes. Rams can be tough but the ewes arnt at all. At least the 4 ewes are family has killed. I made some chorizo out of my last one. It was awesome. I save all my steaks as well they have good flavor

Is that even legal, regulations state human consumption. I killed a ram in 2021, bit tough but no flavor issues.
4C555F21-377A-4CCD-851C-2894AD010710.jpeg

Chuck - sorry but for mobility limited I think this might not be the best hunt for you. My buddy and I just got a couple ewes on an OTC tag ($103 each for residents), but it was a heck of a pack out in some very gnarly country.

Also, the meat is delicious which was a surprise to me. Mixed in some beef fat and the burger I grilled up was better than 95% of the elk burgers I've ever had. Less gamey.

I agree that maybe going after coyotes would be the best option for you.

Good evening,

Just received notice that I drew a tag for units 32, 36 & 37 for an October hunt. Any help would be appreciated as I have never hunted the areas with the exception of the upper portion of 32 for Pronghorn.

I plan on DIY public land and not afraid to put some miles on foot.

Thanks in advance

Good evening,

Just received notice that I drew a tag for units 32, 36 & 37 for an October hunt. Any help would be appreciated as I have never hunted the areas with the exception of the upper portion of 32 for Pronghorn.

I plan on DIY public land and not afraid to put some miles on foot.

Thanks in advance
Honestly find blm and go hunt. I've seen them jus bout anywhere

Is anyone applying for the female/immature barbary tags this year? I'm curious what the odds will be on it, I think I'm going to put the kids in for it.
Well, the odds were good enough I guess. My two older kids drew(group ap) F/IM tags for Mcgregor Jan 6/7.

Should be a fun hunt. They got to watch a large herd back in January when we visited Carlsbad Caverns.

Yup all the "quality" areas are draw only. But there is a mountain range where the barbary sheep have started to compete with some desert bighorn sheep. So that area only is OTC.
any chance on elaborating on what mountain range you found for your go to for OTC Aoudad?

I had a sea of red on the NM draws this year. I opted for a 365 OTC tag for barbary sheep. I'm in Texas. The sheep are out there, but it's a tough hunt. No joke. Gotta do your research, scout some, and be ready for a climb. I've not seen them in the lower mountains very often, but they do come down. Do your homework and you'll be rewarded. You need to be in shape too. If you can draw one of the other units, the hunts are easier because it's arroyos and rolling hills.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back