PEAX Equipment

New Mexico 16C Second Archery Elk Tag

bartos

Got lucky and drew a NM 16C second archery tag. I’m from Ohio so preseason scouting won’t be possible. I should be able to get there a few days before season starts to scout and hunt the entire season. With the quality of tag and lack of preseason scouting I am debating on hiring a guide.

I have hunted elk the last 7 seasons in CO, ID and NM with very limited success.... mostly OTC or 2nd choice tags. Would like to give It a go myself, but don’t want to waste a chance at a great bull.

Thoughts?

Any info on the unit would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bart G.

If I didn't live here, I definitely would hire a guide. You have a tag of a lifetime there. I don't think there is any place on earth where you are more likely to drop a trophy elk than the sweet 16s. Congratulations!

If I didn't live here, I definitely would hire a guide. You have a tag of a lifetime there. I don't think there is any place on earth where you are more likely to drop a trophy elk than the sweet 16s. Congratulations!
I hunted zone last year and i can think of MANY places more likely to drop a trophy, decent tag but not a OIL tag unless the hype makes it hard to draw again, just not what everybody makes it out to be... Locals i meet seemed to hold same opinion including nice guy who is a taxidermist. The outfitter working area hunted one of same place as me and killed a small 5pt ( i passed bull day before). I only seen 1 monster in 12+days, passed on 1 smaller 6pt so they are there but not magical zone they make it out to be. Dont waste $ on outfitters get there early and scout, take first bull you would be happy with! I am not trying to badmouth zone but just want you to go in with resonable expectations. My expectations were not meet so i ate the tag but i was strictly trophy hunting, wish i would of had bear tag. I will be glad to share some zone info and lessons learned there, shot me a pm with questions.

16c is a great unit. Depends on how hard your willing to work for a trophy. They definitely are in there, any unit 16 is a solid hunt. I've hunted unit 16 for close to 20 years now. Deer, elk, bear, and predator calling. You will definitely get what you put into it. Also these units change year to year depending on the monsoons and weather. If its another hot dry year it be could be a tough hunt. Took a few friends out got close but was really tough. Had success on my nephews hunt but we hiked in 6 miles.

OP does say "great bull," not specifically "trophy bull." I would say I see great bulls there all the time, and one of the things that make it a great tag might be the overall numbers elk. So even if you go DIY I think you'll get into some, and I'd be happy to message you some thoughts on the area too. But, if you have the money, there is probably a lot to be gained from a guide. You're way more likely to get a chance at a big bull, and without necessarily breaking yourself physically, wasting energy learning the area. Then you both learn from the guide and hopefully have more confidence in all your future hunts. Time to make a decision tree.

Just me, I been in the 16's. I would go at it on my own and save the cash for another hunt that gives you some private land access. For the most part 16 second season tags are good as your going to find anywhere. Plan hunting the whole season and I think you have good chance letting an arrow go. The only caveat to that is I am assuming that you have some experience archery elk hunting. If not then guide might be worth it on that tag to get your feet wet and make the most of it. Good luck

Thanks for the replies!

I have done the DIY OTC archery in CO multiple times backpacking in several miles and putting In double digit miles most days. I‘m not too worried about the physical.... the concern is being able to find elk and close the deal by myself.

For context...The “very limited success” is calling for a friend‘s kill in CO OTC archery, helping my bro kill a muzzloader bull in CO, wounding an ID bull (not a success), and finally harvesting my first elk in NM last with a muzzleloader guided... all on public.

My buddy and I are also hunting second season archery in 16c we’ve always hunting Idaho public land but wanted to try New Mexico. Not getting a guide just DIY any info would be greatly appreciated. We both have kids so only can get down there a day early to scout. Good luck hunting this year everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back