C17loadclear

New member here (although I have been lurking in the forums for quite a while). I grew up in northern California hunting Blacktails and fishing for Trout. Moved to NC due to military needs and started hunting Whitetails (big difference) and Bass fishing (also a big difference). Looking to retire in a few years and move back out west (right now looking at Idaho panhandle or western Montana). Wife is from western Washington but she has no interest in the rain forest..:) I went Elk hunting with my brother-in-law and I have to say I am hooked. I was able to get a 5x5 with my bow and it was the most intense hunting I have ever done. I have enjoyed this forum and REALLY like the show…It has to be the most realistic show out there in my opinion. I guess I just wanted to formally say hi and I that I have learned a lot from this forum. Thanks!!

Welcome aboard. Are you doing any trout fishing in the mountains. I've always wanted to hike around in the mountains of NC and find some remote little brook trout streams. Not much of that left in the northern part of VA. Some of the larger streams should remind you of the streams out west. Is it the French Broad River that has such a good reputation?

We have been up to the Boone area and did some trout fishing but it was still a lot different than out west. We caught a few planter Rainbows...Cant remember the name of the creek we were fishing

We have lots of hatchery supported streams as well as native flies and lures only waters, some catch and release also. The better streams seem to be in the Southern mountains, don't hear much about the Boone area when it comes to trout. The French Broad has trout in the upper reaches but as it widens and warms you're more likely to hook a large Northern. It's a tricky river and would advise using a guide if you have the discretionary money.

Back