Caribou Gear Tarp

new member new life

Grandpa Ken

greetings to people,s of the wood,s. can,t type can,t spell not much on computer either. not much out there i cant build ,but can never get in enough hunting.
last kid finally out of house, so now my new life will begin!!
9 days of deer 9days of elk in WA dont do it any more. going to buy idaho clearwater deer tag and hunt the idaho muley before WA deer opener oct 16 if all falls in place.
hopethere,s still some bucks left in those idaho mountians.
thanks for the opportunity to be part of this new (new to me)form of interaction, it will greatly increace my quality of life.
may i ask for some help in the future.
Ken

Welcome Gramps! So where in Washington do you live? It's great to have another Washingtonian on here. I'll be hunting deer and elk in eastern Washington (near Cle Elum) and mulies in eastern Oregon this year. Then I'm hoping to hunt Idaho for mulies in 2005.

Welcome to Hunttalk Gramps....We are very glad your here and your are more than welcome to ask for help...I would be very careful about jumping into the SI section though until you get a good feel for the board... Hope your stay here lasts a very long time, and feel free any time to share pics and stories...
:D

thanks for the welcome nut i only wish i hade the knowlege some of you have
WA H tacoma wishing i could say winthrop
hunt yakama herd cascade muly,s
ELKCHSR good to meet you to probably good advice on the SI section knowing me

Gramps, welcome aboard.
I'm a newbie myself, theis guys and gals round here are great. I haven't scene anybody get beat on for not going to English 101 before they became a member here.

Welcome to Hunt Talk Grandpa Ken. Spelling is the last thing we worry about. We are just glad to have you here and hope that you make this your home on the Net. Please share your stories and pictures with us. Don't be afraid to ask questions, because someone on hwere willknow the answers for you. ;)

Welcome aboard Gramps...
You'll get some good value out of this sight. Lots happening in the bear threads at the moment with some great shots of bears from trail cams and trophy pics. Hope you stick around and looking forward to some of your posts. :cool: Another requirement is to have a sense of humor :D

Gramps, Weclome ;) to Moosies, As you can See My Splelling isn't all that good either, and My Typing leaves a lot to the imagination... That being said I fair well in the Woods and Better with the Women (Uhhhh scratch that last part out, My Wife reads this board ;) )

Spelling isn't a requirement, We jsut ask that ya fill us with a Hunting story every now and Then and Pull up a Chair and HAve fun !!!! It's wwhat lifes all about bud !!!!

You can Ask any question at any time..... Can We call ya Gramps ?

Hey duvy, does AF mean air force?
Ridge runner, appreciate the welcome. Max sense of humor going on here.
Moosie, call me gramps, call me Ken, not a sensitive bone in this old body. Not really that old.
Two stories
Im only 47 years young the name comes from my two little guys grandsons one 9 and one 5 the name seems to fit.

22 years ago 1982 two years after St. Helens blew my partner his dad and me hunting out of randal-packwood area between mt. rainier and st. helens late buck black tail hunting found a great hill called lone tree mt. 2 or 3 years earlier took a few good bucks 3 for 3 that year mine was last one taken that year easy buck crossing road think forky maybe broad shot him took off like nothing hit him i was maybe 100 to 150 yards out no blood on road started tracking found trail dear maybe 600 to 700 yards out gutted dear made a back pack out of him tied his front legs through his back legs covered rack humped him on my back and out to road waited for partners loaded dear up headed for camp about ten minuted down road old man asked where liver was i told him with the guts he was not happy about that and wheeled around back to kill site tracked back to gut pile retrieved liver headed back to truck and then camp settled in for evening when old man asked for liver to cook for supper gave him liver he just looked at me shook his head and laughed
i had brought back the lungs never lived it down not even now

elkhunter thanks for the welcome that picture thing could take me years to master

ken

ELKY .. works real well on the smaller ones. You gut them, make an insicsion between the back leg tendons slip the front legs through on the same sides and I use a zip tie to fasten them together. Then throw your back pack inside the cavity and slip into the deer like a packpack. Deers head goes over your shoulder and the back legs act as a great rifle rack in the front Very important to tag it with flouro orange though :eek: ;)

That was a good story Gramps, I have never eaten lungs, are they any good? ;)
That is a great Idea Gene..I wonder if it would work on an elk...

Aha Ridgie the kiwi way mate, you ever hunted down here to learn that?? only trouble I've ever had was once carrying out a red hind I stepped into a hole crossing a river, It was like deers revenge I couldn't get the bitch off and she was trying to drown me, my hunting mate thought it was a great laugh untill he realised I wasn't joking :eek: .

Kiwi only been to New Zealand once but never got to hunt will return again for that though. Learned that trick from my Dad many moons ago. Russ I don't think so :eek: something about the size of them ;)

Welcome Ken. I ain't calling you gramps as I am 53. You will get a lot of info here but you'll want a tall pair of boots for a lot of it. Great site though, you'll enjoy it here.

Welcome gramps, looks like lots of WA guys here, some from the MM board.
I myself hunt
Deer in Winthrop,
Elk in either MT ST Helens or Taneum/Manastash ridge eastern Wa area, depending on my mood.
Turkeys in Chewelah,
Shed hunt in eastside elk ranges,
Call predators (yotes and cats,) best call in was 7.5' female cougar, either eastern WA or Jefferson county.
Halibut , salmon and steelhead out at the coast and in the straits.
Duck hunt Kitsap county
I have had lots of good info passed to me on the MM board and tried to share some back as well, this board seems like a good place to exchange info.

Welcome aboard Mad Max...Where do you actually hang your hat..I was there in that state as a resident for a ton of years and remember having to travel all over the place as you have stated just to maybe get to see some thing elusive to hunt, now I just leave town on foot and am in the middle of a lot of good hunting...Guy's out here are totally spoiled and have no idea as a general rule of how well they have it, most think shooting elk out of fields when the snow pushes them out is the best hunting has to offer. Look forward to your pics and stories...

Ha S J good to meet ya ya well you know how it is started yong finished yong not a bad stratedgy.i work const. many times im oldest man on site, funney how things change whats it like working in the hunting business.

Mad M love that winthrop area ben through it 8 or 10 times, never hunted it. buddes of mine trying to talk me unto getting horses and hunt that pasaytin wilderness big investment for me wold like to maybe buy some propety up there figure maybe8 or 9 im out the big city

ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back