Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New hunter in Colorado

Grand Mesa, 1st season, they'll still be talking a bit so take your cow calls. Cow calls can also bring in bears. Good luck!
Thanks for the good luck! I've bought a few of those little disc type calls, cant seem to get it figured out. Watched Corey Jacobs videos. Any others youd reccomend? Any of those other call types work? There are some that look like duck calls on sportsmans warehouse. Any you can reccomend?

Thanks for the good luck! I've bought a few of those little disc type calls, cant seem to get it figured out. Watched Corey Jacobs videos. Any others youd reccomend? Any of those other call types work? There are some that look like duck calls on sportsmans warehouse. Any you can reccomend?
Diaphragm calls work well but do take some practice, that's what road trips are for! I've had good luck with the bite and blow types like Sceery and some others carry. The squeeze hoochie mama is ok, but so many people use them I wonder if they scare elk away at this point. Lurk around the bowhunting forums, those guys go all in with calls of all types.

Diaphragm calls work well but do take some practice, that's what road trips are for! I've had good luck with the bite and blow types like Sceery and some others carry. The squeeze hoochie mama is ok, but so many people use them I wonder if they scare elk away at this point. Lurk around the bowhunting forums, those guys go all in with calls of all types.
Thanks for your recommendations, these are what I was referring too. Yeah got a couple sounds out of the "Diaphram" ones, but can't make them consistently. I will keep practicing and probably get that squeeze one or the bite one. I assume you can change pitch with the bite one. That should help to distinguish my self from all the squeeze ones. Care to answer a couple more questions for me?
Have a recommendation on a game processor in Delta or Palasaide area?
Meat hauling places if I get one WAY out there?
Any good restaurants around there I should hit on my next scout trip?
I've found a few guide services for $6k a person online, is there somewhere to look for a hunting mentor or guide for a group locally?

As a relatively new member I can tell you that Hunt Talk is a great forum with great people! The people on hunt talk are very helpful, kind, and knowledgeable. There are so many members here willing to help in any way that they can!

Thanks everyone for being awesome

Thanks for your recommendations, these are what I was referring too. Yeah got a couple sounds out of the "Diaphram" ones, but can't make them consistently. I will keep practicing and probably get that squeeze one or the bite one. I assume you can change pitch with the bite one. That should help to distinguish my self from all the squeeze ones. Care to answer a couple more questions for me?
Have a recommendation on a game processor in Delta or Palasaide area?
Meat hauling places if I get one WAY out there?
Any good restaurants around there I should hit on my next scout trip?
I've found a few guide services for $6k a person online, is there somewhere to look for a hunting mentor or guide for a group locally?
Orchard Mesa Market or Old World Meats both do good work. OMM is faster, OWM makes better sausage, salami, etc. in my opinion. Both are in GJ. Not sure about Delta or Palisade.
Not sure about meat haulers, the forest service office should track them. Most anyone you ask in Collbran should be able to point you in the right direction. Or in Delta, I'd ask anyone in boots, or wherever they sell horse tack, and odds are they'd know. Both towns are still small town America. There are a few FB groups and BHA where folks sometimes are looking for hunting partners. I'm a little booked trying to get my kids' tags, and my 61 tags, filled I'm afraid.
Restaurants I can recommend...Starvin Arvins in Clifton has amazing breakfast stuff, biscuits and rolls for carb loading. W.W. Peppers, near the airport, is the best restaurant in GJ, but have plenty of room on your card! There are several good local places in Palisade, can't remember their names but all downtown. There's also a distillery...but that place is not conducive to early mornings.
Holler if you get in a pickle over here and need a person on the ground, I've lived in GJ a while.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back