Yeti GOBOX Collection

New here and trying to learn

i am hungry

Hello, I'm brand new to the world of hunting. In fact, I've never hunted in my life. Though, camping and hiking aren't new to me. I grew up "exploring". But it does feel a little embarrassing that I was never taught when I was a kid but even in my 30s I'm very interested in learning everything I can.

I am from Houston and while hunting deer will likely be my first endeavor I'm not really interested in sitting in a blind for days on end. I am more interested in the active aspect of hunting. Which is what brings me here. In my research, I found Randy's Hunt Talk podcast and inevitably found this forum via the podcast. My goal is to learn as much as I can and then share it with my kids when they get old enough. My other passion includes off-road driving, particularly rocks and rugged terrain. I get a kick out of trying to problem solve on the trails. Only issue is that Houston is flat and a swamp so I have to travel at least a few hundred miles before we find good trails and ORV parks.

I look forward to hearing your perspectives and learning from yall!

Last edited:
Welcome! Enjoy the journey. It'll be a rewarding endeavor for you and your family.

Welcome aboard!! A good spot and stalk hunt for a beginner would be a Wyoming doe antelope tag. Try hunting some hogs nearby you too.

welcome to the forum... I just returned to hunting about 5 years ago after a 10-15year hiatus (moving, marriage, college, grad school, kids). I live in the Dallas area but do most of my deer/turkey hunting in South Texas (Dewitt County). I regret I stopped hunting all those years. It has re-enriched my life. Good Luck!

Back