Yeti GOBOX Collection

New guy from Indiana

Im not an expert on anything, and I have not hunted colorado…. That being said, I have been getting alot of use out of gohunt both for tag research and hunt planning. Depending on the situation you are in ill happily offer what I would do.

Do you have a tag already or are you just planning a future hunt?
I don't actually have a tag, just tagging along -pardon that excellent pun- with a CO resident friend of mine.
Basically from my online research and e-scouting the very novice plan is to get off of the trail a mile or two, skirt some streams, locate a potential food source, find signs, and hunt the transitions.
This will be both of our first big game hunt. I didn't grow up with hunters so my first hunt ever was last year, thinking that a deer might be ambitious, I just got an IN small game tag. Ended up blundering into a couple of deer and turkey last year and have been itching to go again since.

I don't actually have a tag, just tagging along -pardon that excellent pun- with a CO resident friend of mine.
Basically from my online research and e-scouting the very novice plan is to get off of the trail a mile or two, skirt some streams, locate a potential food source, find signs, and hunt the transitions.
This will be both of our first big game hunt. I didn't grow up with hunters so my first hunt ever was last year, thinking that a deer might be ambitious, I just got an IN small game tag. Ended up blundering into a couple of deer and turkey last year and have been itching to go again since.

I would say from a general perspective your plan sounds good. There is a million general suggestions I could make, but without knowing the area it would all be very general at best. One thing I would suggest is listening the the big hunt guys podcast that is put on by gohunt. Episode 78 with Mark Livesay is great and offers a ton of good ideas about e-scouting and some little nuggets of great information. I would listen to this a few times through and then get on your maps and apply some of what you learned.

Regarding your Indiana hunting so far, congrats! If your very first year you were able to get a couple deer and a turkey, I would say you are doing great. There are no turkeys in Indiana.... What part of the state do you hunt in (very generally speaking)?

If you do end up deer hunting public land this year, keep an eye on the regulations. It sounds like they could be changing the regulations/properties for doe harvest.

I would say from a general perspective your plan sounds good. There is a million general suggestions I could make, but without knowing the area it would all be very general at best. One thing I would suggest is listening the the big hunt guys podcast that is put on by gohunt. Episode 78 with Mark Livesay is great and offers a ton of good ideas about e-scouting and some little nuggets of great information. I would listen to this a few times through and then get on your maps and apply some of what you learned.

Regarding your Indiana hunting so far, congrats! If your very first year you were able to get a couple deer and a turkey, I would say you are doing great. There are no turkeys in Indiana.... What part of the state do you hunt in (very generally speaking)?
I was up north near Michigan when I saw the turkeys, the deer I saw down in Eastern central IN towards OH, just to clarify, I didn't get deer or turkey last year, I just saw them when I was looking for small game.

I was up north near Michigan when I saw the turkeys, the deer I saw down in Eastern central IN towards OH, just to clarify, I didn't get deer or turkey last year, I just saw them when I was looking for small game.

Understood! Still cool that you were able to see some. I would highly recommend getting on the access Indiana website and registering for all of the reserved hunt options that they have. You have to purchase the applicable licenses first to be able to apply. They have tons of good options: Dove hunting, squirrel hunting, pheasant hunting, deer hunting, waterfowl hunting, Turkey hunting and probably more. Most of the stuff is free and pretty easy to draw.

Lots of info here. https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGame.aspx

Hello everyone. New Member from Indiana, long time beneficiary. I hunt every year out west at least one week and have gotten so much info from this group. I figured I would try to actually contribute what I can so that maybe I can help someone else one day.
Welcome!

I am in the same boat as you, long time lurker that decided it’s time to engage. Happy to know others are joining HT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back