Caribou Gear Tarp

New Guy from Arizona

CwNova

Hi all

I've been a reader of this forum for the last 6 months or so and figured I should make an account and partake in the community.

I'm 25 and have only been hunting for 3 years (with one cow elk under my belt!). I was born and raised in Arizona and currently live in Tucson. I don't have any family members that hunt, aside from my brother who started after I did.

If my brother is not with me, then that means I'm out solo - which I like- but sometimes I feel like I could learn so much just by tagging along with someone (definitely could of have used someone this last quail season!)

As with the rest of you, I'm in love with hunting and the lifestyle that comes with it. I also read a lot, and enjoy doing any kind of physical activity.

I went to school for Economics and currently work for a non-profit Arts organization. I hope to eventually find an opportunity somewhere out west (thinking Montana) with a conservation group where I can make an impact that positively impacts hunters and sportsmen. Over the last year, I have become a member with RMEF, BHA, and Quail Forever. I am always interested in learning more about other great organizations that speak on behalf of us all.

As you probably have guessed, I probably don't have much to contribute to the forum yet but i'm looking forward to starting somewhere!

Happy Hunting

-Chris

Welcome.

Quail hunting has been pretty rough for the last ten years or so. Numbers are way down due to lack of rainfall. The hatch was really good last year, though, so hopefully numbers will start to bounce back.

Welcome. I am in AZ next week though most of the time up in the Portland, OR, metro area. I have hunted elk and deer in AZ. While you are in AZ, there are usually dozens of leftover Coues rifle buck tags left after the main draw is complete. That might be a good way to get some more hunting days. The hunts can be warm and I had a learning curve to summit prior to being able to spot them bedded since they blend in so well. I learned to identify where they most likely would be and that let me target a much smaller area to glass.

Also, buy the lifetime AZ hunting license now. You can then participate in the 90% Resident bucket of tags even if become a non-resident at some point. If you become a non-resident, you will pay the non-resident rate but will have 9x the tags to compete for vs. a non-resident like me.

As LopeHunter mentioned you are living in a great place to hunt Coues and Quail. The javalina season just ended and that is a great game animal to hunt as well. There are a lot of hunting enthusiasts in this state I am sure you will find another hunting buddy/mentor.
Maybe one of these days we can hookup on a leftover Coues tag.
happy hunting

"As LopeHunter mentioned you are living in a great place to hunt Coues and Quail. The javalina season just ended and that is a great game animal to hunt as well. There are a lot of hunting enthusiasts in this state I am sure you will find another hunting buddy/mentor.
Maybe one of these days we can hookup on a leftover Coues tag.
happy hunting"

How long have you been in Prescott? I was born and Prescott and was there until I finished high school. I'd love to eventually move back.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back