Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New From NE (Wyoming Bound)

NENate

All,

Trying to get into Elk hunting, hoping to draw a general Wyoming tag next year, if the anticipation doesn't kill me! I'm starting my scouting this year, actually heading out to Wyoming in two weeks with my six year old to drive some of the roads and familiarize myself with some areas around Encampment. I've ordered BLM maps and have got the GPS loaded up. Not sure that the little guy will be up for a lot of hiking so will probably stick close to roads. Never been to the area so what I'm about to say my be ignorant but can a guy find Elk by just driving the roads? I want my son to be able to see some Elk, trying to get him as excited about it as I am.

Also, there are some public lands that I wouldn't step foot on during deer rifle season in NE from a safety standpoint. Is that something I need to be concerned with in WY? Again, may be an ignorant question just hard not knowing what to expect having never been there.

Any feedback/thoughts would be much appreciated! Look forward to engaging in the conversations here.

Thanks,

Nate

I am not familiar with that area, but if you want the chance to see elk, the best time is first and last light. Otherwise, they are probably in the thick.

Welcome to the forum. You might add your location to your profile.

It is very possible to see elk from the roads, especially if the little guy has and knows how to focus a set of binos. If you can, get him his own pair. My two boys (6 and 9) totally dig using their Leupold Yosemite's in 6X. Nothing to be worried about from a safety perspective. Much different that many public lands during gun seasons in the eastern side of the country. Still would consider slapping some orange on.

Thanks all! Added location (Nebraska) to my profile per advice. Will definitely be getting the little man his own pair of binoculars to bring along!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back