Caribou Gear

New bow

NDMuley

I am thinking of getting a new bow. My only concern is that I don't like alot of draw weight. Is a 40 to 50 pound bow enough for deer and antelope? Would it be ok for elk if I ever decide to go archery hunting? My current bow goes down to about 56 pounds and it seems to me a bit taxing to draw. Thanks for the help.

I am thinking of getting a new bow. My only concern is that I don't like alot of draw weight. Is a 40 to 50 pound bow enough for deer and antelope? Would it be ok for elk if I ever decide to go archery hunting? My current bow goes down to about 56 pounds and it seems to me a bit taxing to draw. Thanks for the help.
Should be plenty. Just going to have to adjust your shooting range accordingly. Not sure how old your current bow is. Might want to try some of the new ones in the same draw weight.draw cycles are different on every bow and the newer one might be a higher let off. Good luck in your search.

PS buy a hoyt. 😉

Most of the new bows now are so efficient, you may find a 50lb modern bow has as much or more power then your current bow at 56lbs. Good heavyish arrow and a cut on contact broadhead, you will blow right thru an elk. I shoot 60lbs so I have zero interest in tearing my shoulder apart in the future and I have zero issues getting pass throughs. Pretty much any brand right now will work well for you and you dont even have to spend that much.

I agree with what most have said. Most states have regs for draw weight. ie 40 lbs for deer, 50 lbs for elk. I have had a number of different bows. I had a Mathews Switchback (solo cam) that was probably up there for me as the smoothest drawing bow I have owned and it is 15 years old. I also have a Mathews VXR that is only a year old and is probably the easiest to draw. Doesn't feel as heavy to draw but was not necessarily as smooth.

If you are in for a new bow and have the opportunity, shoot a few different brands. I don't know that there is really a big difference anymore and you are likely to find something to work at lower poundage.

I also do workouts to help with my shoulder to make sure that I can lessen stress there and be able to shoot for a long time. For me, shooting is a stress reliever and timeout from the world in my own backyard.

Could even go the traditional route for bows.

Good luck no matter which route you go!

50lbs is more than enough for deer, antelope, elk etc. get a good fixed blade and keep ur shots under 50yds

Brother lots of kids use 35lb bows where legal. Lots of recurve guys even use bows in the low 40s commonly some as light as 35

Back