New AR Build Caliber

Which caliber for a new AR Build to hunt and punch paper?

• 223 Wylde

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • 22 Nosler

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 6mm ARC

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • 6.8 SPC

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • 300 HAM'R

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like books, although I know there are tons of tutorials on the internet. Anyone suggest a good AR build book?

The deal is done. Just ordered a 6mm ARC 20" Ballistics Advantage barrel. I was weighing going with the 22", but this is a hunting rifle, so went with the 20. They have a sale going on, so it was a pretty good deal.

Really not complicated enough for a book, but it never hurts to search the library.

Last edited:
Really liking my bolt action 6mm arc. 105 grain bullet at 2750fps or a 55 grain bullet at 3550fps. All with around 30 grains of powder

Really liking my bolt action 6mm arc. 105 grain bullet at 2750fps or a 55 grain bullet at 3550fps. All with around 30 grains of powder
Once I get some brass, I will be loading up the 100 grain Nosler Partitions.

For the 6mm Arc folks, what are you doing for brass? I have seen folks using 6.5 Grendel brass. I just don't want to get into annealing. Maybe just buy some Hornady ammo and reuse?
I just bit the bullet and bought loaded Hornady bullets-eldx. For factory ammo, my rifle shoots them really good

I built a BCM upper with 18” proof barrel. I’m shooting 1/2” grps with factory Hornady eldx s. Haven’t crono’d ; but as accurate as it is, i can just dial.
Its been fun on yotes. Not as heavy as a ar10 build. And that round actually hsst torn up the yotes, not that im into keeping fur.

I'm not really aware of any books either, all my education came from Arfcom back in the day. This caused me to try and remember all the cartridges I've had an AR upper in:

22lr, 223/556/Wylde, 5.7x28, 6arc, 6.8spc, 300blk, 9mm, 45acp, 450 Bushmaster, and 308 in a large frame. Its definitely a tinkerer's platform, like a semi-auto T/C Contender/Encore. I'm sure your build will go great, just ask if you need anything.

I'm not really aware of any books either, all my education came from Arfcom back in the day. This caused me to try and remember all the cartridges I've had an AR upper in:

22lr, 223/556/Wylde, 5.7x28, 6arc, 6.8spc, 300blk, 9mm, 45acp, 450 Bushmaster, and 308 in a large frame. Its definitely a tinkerer's platform, like a semi-auto T/C Contender/Encore. I'm sure your build will go great, just ask if you need anything.
Much appreciated. Had a buddy point me to Brownell's videos and they are really good.

The deal is done. Just ordered a 6mm ARC 20" Ballistics Advantage barrel. I was weighing going with the 22", but this is a hunting rifle, so went with the 20. They have a sale going on, so it was a pretty good deal.
I had a BA barrel in 6.5 Grendel. It shot an easy 1/2 MOA out to 850 (as far as I shot it) with factory Hornady American Gunner. I miss that gun. You’ll like yours

I had a BA barrel in 6.5 Grendel. It shot an easy 1/2 MOA out to 850 (as far as I shot it) with factory Hornady American Gunner. I miss that gun. You’ll like yours
What was your barrel length?

Well, I pretty much have everything on order except the gas block and tube. Went Aero Precision with all hard components - lower receiver, upper receiver, hand guard and buffer tube and spring. Went with a B5 Bravo stock as it is more flared for a good cheek weld and has a soft rubber butt pad (I always end up replacing the Magpul buttpad with a Limbsaver).

Waiting on a buddy to give me a report on the Aero Precision adjustable low profile gas block.

I had good luck with the Aero adjustable. My 6arc upper really need some gas adjustment, but I was using a nonstandard lower, short barrel, and a suppressor so it’s to be expected. I like having adjustable gas when possible.

I had good luck with the Aero adjustable. My 6arc upper really need some gas adjustment, but I was using a nonstandard lower, short barrel, and a suppressor so it’s to be expected. I like having adjustable gas when possible.
I plan to get a suppressor when I sell a few rifles, so that makes sense. I ordered it last night.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back