Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New AR Build Caliber

Which caliber for a new AR Build to hunt and punch paper?

• 223 Wylde

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • 22 Nosler

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • 6mm ARC

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • 6.8 SPC

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • 300 HAM'R

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

USAF Ret

I am going to start putting together everything for my first AR build. I have some pretty hefty military discounts on components and I can reload, so I figured it is something fun to do and build a good quality rifle from the ground up. This would be a hunting/paper puncher. Deer, hogs and varmints. I would like folks input on the caliber. (Note, in NC you can hunt with a 22 centerfire)
223 Wylde
22 Nosler
6mm ARC
6.8 SPC
300 HAM'R
I already have a Grendel and 300 BO.

6mm seems a perfect whitetail size hole. Arc seems to be a great fit for the platform.

I helped a friend put together a 6.8 SPC last year and it’s a shooter. It was easy to find parts and not much tweaking to make it shoot great.

I have a load of 5.56’s and one 224 Valykre. With 2 more bare recievers in the safe I’ve had the same question. The 6arc has had my eye for a bit.

I’ve been trying to make the same decision for a while. Pretty sure I’m going with the Arc.

For the 6mm Arc folks, what are you doing for brass? I have seen folks using 6.5 Grendel brass. I just don't want to get into annealing. Maybe just buy some Hornady ammo and reuse?

For the 6mm Arc folks, what are you doing for brass? I have seen folks using 6.5 Grendel brass. I just don't want to get into annealing. Maybe just buy some Hornady ammo and reuse?
I built a 12" SBR in 6arc, I've just been picking up factory loaded Hornady, a box here and there when I see it at Sportsmans, and I'll just be reloading that until Hornady has enough brass to sell it. Usually, I try to avoid converting brass unless I absolutely have to, plus Grendel brass isn't exactly plentiful anyway.

I think 6arc is the best cartridge you can get in an AR15 frame. The usable 22cal projectiles top out a little too low weight wise and are getting slow, the 6.8 is cool but slow and bullet selection isn't great, 6.5G will be pretty slow with the best projectiles in that caliber, .243 is really the sweet spot.

My new 6arc Howa Mini is with @p_ham right now getting cut back to 16" and threaded for my jailbound Thunderchicken (I'll use one of my Sportsmen Ultralights until its approved), and a new carbon fiber stock is here waiting too. I'm hoping it can be a good intermediate hunting rifle for me, I realized that in my gun collection consolidation I left a pretty big hole above .22lr and 300wsm.

5.56 NATO you will compability in the conflict coming ……….me and our neighborhood armed watch is set up alike 5.56 and 9mm !

450 is a bit much. Second time I have seen the 25-45 brought up.

Anyone for the 25-45 Sharps?

Last edited:
Once you start shooting game with them, you see how little difference there is with any variation at that case capacity. I suggest you shoot your Grendel for a few thousand rounds and then rebuild based what you learn along the way.

Once you start shooting game with them, you see how little difference there is with any variation at that case capacity. I suggest you shoot your Grendel for a few thousand rounds and then rebuild based what you learn along the way.
I am just doing a build as a project to get a break and get my mind off things. This is just a fun something to do as I am stuck at the house most of the time taking care of my disabled wife. My only break is to get to go shoot every few weeks. So, just seeing what might be a fun caliber to chamber it in.

Back