Nevada unit 261-268 mule deer advise???

Noodlerfreak

First trip out west and first mule deer rifle hunt. I am a true greenhorn. If you have any advise I will listen. I get it ... it sounds stupid to apply for an area you know nothing about or been to but I have to start somewhere and get some experience. I tried to use the epic outdoor subscription and gohunt to pick a hunting area based on high success rates and easy to draw. Trophy buck is not my goal just a good time, gain experience, and get some meat. I am too poor to hire a guide.

My research so far...am I close?
Hunt unit 262
Wheeler pass area (lots of motorized access) where most of the hunters go
Mt. Charleston southwest slope (access via the south loop trail)
Mt. Sterling (some bucks in the area)
Carpenter Creek (year round water source on the west side of the range)
Lovell Canyon (some deer in the area)
Mt. Potosi (has a spring and had a burn about 7 years ago)
Prison?? (seen some reports online about people seeing lots of deer near a prison outside of Vegas)

Questions I have
I hear that overall deer numbers are low. What should be my expectations?
Should I concentrate on water?
Hunt where the sage meets the aspen’s?
Coming in cold turkey is there an area that would benefit me?
Is there an area that holds a greater population of animals?
Should I hunt the doe’s to find bucks? (my hunt dates area Nov. 23rd-29th)
Has any of the previous burns been reseeded with native grasses?

No idea about the unit, but find some good glassing spots and go from there. Dates should be awesome.

Lived here for 20 years and I don't think I have ever seen a deer in those mountains but then again I don't really hang out in those populated areas. Too many tree hugger hikers. But if I were to start looking then Indian Springs, Trout Creek and a few other areas on the north side of Mt. Charleston. PM sent.

I would look near the bunny ranch at the west end of the unit. Make sure you take your tripod and gloves.
You can also hike to the mouth of glitter gulch around first light.

I’m not sure if the bucks down south would be in rut yet. I would trade in any Sitka gear for patigonia and hide your gun in some bushes. Then make friends with the avid trail walkers have them show you where the deer are then the next morning bang. Good luck

Try the Cold Creek area by Wheeler, it holds some Deer or Lovell Canyon. When is your season?

PM if you want.

I got the 261 rifle tag, first come first serve… as a result not much time to plan… planning on hunting the last 5 days of the season… my limited research says hunt cold creek or Charleston Mountain.? I am just courteous what to expect??? Any information would be greatly appreciated… I’ll provide an update of the hunt via PM… other than that epic outdoors says to expect 150-160 type bucks…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back