Nephew Perma’s 100 Day Challenge

Alrighty here we go!

My wife and I were a bit cautious going because we weren’t sure if we were going to accomplish what the goal was. I say this because my mom has some limitations that prevent us from doing what we really wanted to do. However, my parents have always done this with me so I’d be upset with myself if I told them they couldn’t go. So we work with what we got!

We roll in on the 4th and decide that it’s time for supper. We grab a bite and decide to go fishing. Some folks I talked to May know where I was but it’s a very premier fishing spot in CO. Sadly, no fish to report, I’m stuck at 48 on the year.

Fast forward to Friday, I didn’t get any sleep the night before. Literally, not a wink. So I woke up extremely cranky. We had breakfast and took off. Unfortunately I missed a turn (wasn’t the driver but was the navigator) and we ended up miles off the path. Crap. We end up taking a large loop around and got to a top of the pass. We unload the UTV and start driving. All this sudden, the machine had a check engine light on. Everything was keeping me from going on this trip it seemed.

We finally get to the trail head and my wife and I took off while I tasked my parents to find camping spots. A guy drove up to them while we were a few yards up the trail and explained that they find a bear with cubs in the area. As a mother would, panic set in and my wife was concerned. My grouchy self said we’re going and I’m going to explain why we won’t see her. That day, my wife learned about thermals. No bears were found.

We get to the wilderness and it set in to me that I’ve never been into one before. While the bugs were in full force, I had found peace.

IMG_1019.jpegIMG_1023.jpegIMG_1022.jpeg

I also found some reddish purple pine cones. Never seen that before.

IMG_1020.jpeg

The next day, I went back to a spot I visited a few weeks ago. The road required a UTV due to a nasty stretch of rocks. We get through but never really found any sign. I decided to backtrack and go right smack dab in the middle of the unit.

As we were driving, I decided to roll the window down and take in the fresh air. It had occurred to me there and then that I never knew what elk smelled like, although I hear it from you guys all the time. A mile driving forward, I was hit with this huge scent, as if it was a shovel that smacked me in the face. I ask my party if anyone else got it and my dad nodded gently. Smelled just like a horse pen. I have him stop and found sign everywhere including a bed. Jackpot. We mark the spot and turn around to not disturb the area any further.

A trip full of first for me. First time in a wilderness, first time seeing red pine cones, first time smelling elk. It was a privilege to witness a lot of it, although no elk were spotted.

Next up is a short week business trip to Seattle. My brother lives there and we’re going fishing. No long stories, just fish pictures next.

Hey @perma I was wondering about the “nephew” reference in the thread title: are you an Uncle Roger (YouTube comedian/chef commentator) fan? If so, you are getting closer to elk Uncle status with a smelly scouting success.

Enjoying the electronic journal so far

Hey @perma I was wondering about the “nephew” reference in the thread title: are you an Uncle Roger (YouTube comedian/chef commentator) fan? If so, you are getting closer to elk Uncle status with a smelly scouting success.

Enjoying the electronic journal so far
Haha no. It’s just a name I’ve always been called ever since college. Not sure why, I guess I have that “nephew vibe” to me, whatever that is. That or I’m coachable.

I think it started when I had my first real job. I was an apprentice for a master technician at a car dealership. He taught me a lot, and was someone I respected. My mom always used to introduce me to people she respected as uncle or auntie (my god parents being an example). So anyway, I used to call him uncle don and he used to call me nephew.

And the rest is history!

Well the application season is over for me. Much like NV and UT, I walk out empty handed in WY. Nada, zilch. Pretty shocked I couldn’t even pull a cow tag. But, that’s how it goes. Can’t draw them all.

Drawn tags updated. I have a general WY elk tag and a LE CO elk tag to hang my hat on, so it can’t be that bad! Top it with two mule deer tags and a fun archery pronghorn tag in CO, should be a busy fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcdbrog
Back