Caribou Gear Tarp

Need some help with Judging Sheep

I think your unit is a bit more remote but having as many people with you as possible to find the sheep and then judge the sheep is a huge plus. If you can't find a bunch of guys then try finding one guy that has experience glassing and judging sheep. Their help in the field will help more than you know. Looking at pics is one thing......Seeing them in person is another. The first ram you see will look like a monster.....even though it is 145". Been there done that.

I think you can help yourself find the sheep if you watch the wind and figure out what part of the mountain they should be on. Most animals typically want the wind to come over the hill so they can smell what is above them and then see what is below them. That right there will typically eliminate about 50% of the country to look at. Then I would focus on about the top 50% of those hills. Right there you got rid of about 75% of the country to focus on. Once you look over the best 25% of the country then start looking at the rest of the country. Sheep will move all day off and on. If they aren't moving you can typically see them (if you are in the right spot) when they are bedded. Their activity seems to be the highest the last hour or daylight.

don't get to caught up on judging rams. The experience will far outweigh the size of the ram. You will have a huge adventure. Make sure to enjoy it.

I understand the idea of having lots of guys join in the fun, but, similar to Oak, I don't think that is the kind of hunt my buddy has in mind. I am guessing there will be a max of three of us there at any one time, the hunter, his son, and either me or another one of his friends.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that when the sun it up, it is 1000% easier to see sheep with the sun at you back. Kinda obvious I know, but if you are planning glassing spots, might want to keep that in mind.

As some have mentioned, when you see the ram for you guys you'll know it. And if you get him killed, it wont matter if hes 154 or 174 - you will have earned a worthy right to puff up your chests a bit. Having said that, setting a reasonable goal like age, base or length measurements, overall score, etc is a good gauge to keep yourselves in check. Those 3-4 year olds with 25” horns are not what you’ll want to be after, but they do lure in a few desperate Idaho sheep hunters every year.

However, if you're looking for numbers to gauge against, the mature rams in that country are going to get 90-94 inches of their score from mass. Figure an average of 14.25” bases and around 7” third quarters. Plan on an average length of just above 32. That makes 154-158 a pretty normal score.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back