Need for a new hunting buddy.

Iowa is a great hunting state, start there. You can get outfitted with the necessary gear to hunt turkeys or whitetails at home for almost nothing. Some Walmart camo, a shotgun and shells, a call and a license is literally all you need to hunt turkeys this year.

Experience is the best teacher. More often than not, you'll just pick up the bad habits if you try learning from someone else. Just get out there and put in the time.
Thank you. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be in Iowa as I'm actually trying to move out of there.
Time will tell where I end up but hopefully in one of the rocky mountain states. My dad snowbirds to Arizona and might end up there is cards are in favor.

I can see how it would be hard to find a mentor. Not too many people want to take time out of their own hunting to try an teach someone else how to hunt, unless that someone is a child. Even then that child usually has to be a close relative. The best way, I would think, is to try to become friends with hunters. Then instead of expecting them to teach you, just try to learn by observing them and listening to their stories.

By far the best teacher is experience. Nobody taught me how to hunt. My dad and I started hunting at the same time. I was 11 and he was 51. My dad never did kill a big game animal, his passion took him more towards bird hunting. I, in my youth, had enough passion for all types of hunting. We taught ourselves through trial and error and probably enjoyed hunting more because of that.

In trying to gain experience, remember that hunting season is year around, it is only killing season that is limited.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back