Need for a new hunting buddy.

Mattff200

Well I've come to the conclusion I need a new hunting buddy. I moved from NJ to WY in 2018. I had an uncle I shot with and hunted with a lot when I lived there. Had a hunting buddy when I first moved out but he's been unreliable in the past. I have no issue hunting by myself but it's nice to hunt with someone. Without getting too deep into it curious if anyone out here haf any advice on finding a new hunting partner. My biggest hurdle is working 10 hour days and having over an hour commute each way. I'd appreciate any advice and I'm located in Gillette WY.

Last edited:
You shot your uncle? No wonder your other hunting buddy became inconsistent. 😂🤣😂

I’ve found very few people that I truly meshed with on hunting styles. It makes me that much more thankful for any hunts I can get with those people. I still mostly hunt alone and am usually more effective in doing so but still like a couple group hunts.

I just decided to raise my hunting partners. Good luck finding a buddy!

You shot your uncle? No wonder your other hunting buddy became inconsistent. 😂🤣😂

I’ve found very few people that I truly meshed with on hunting styles. It makes me that much more thankful for any hunts I can get with those people. I still mostly hunt alone and am usually more effective in doing so but still like a couple group hunts.

I hunted and shot with him a lot.

I have always preferred hunting alone. I like to keep my own schedule. But I will bend for my brother. Great guy.

I know this is going to sound weird but try meeting people at church. Our the bar. How's that for weird? Seriously, you'll need to find some way to circulate socially. I'm not good at that either. Like you my job kept me on the move and I never stood still long enough to make lasting friendships. Make the effort now. It only gets harder later.

Well I've come to the conclusion I need a new hunting buddy. I moved from NJ to WY in 2018. I had an uncle I shot with and hunted with a lot when I lived there. Had a hunting buddy when I first moved out but he's been unreliable in the past. I have no issue hunting by myself but it's nice to hunt with someone. Without getting too deep into it curious if anyone out here haf any advice on finding a new hunting partner. My biggest hurdle is working 10 hour days and having over an hour commute each way. I'd appreciate any advice and I'm located in Gillette WY.
How often would you get out to hunt if you had a buddy? And what would you typically be hunting? I imagine that commute makes it difficult to get out much.

The reason I'm asking is because I have no doubt that there are guys like me (living in Florida there are no elk) on this very site who would love to do a group hunt in Wyoming. As we speak I just lined up a W. Tennessee duck hunt for the last week of January 2022 for some guys at work as well as some from another forum. I'm also setting up a moose hunt in Alberta in 2023 with some guys as well. I'm a member of a boating forum and we've frequently gotten together. In Wyoming I understand there are no non-resident OTC tags for elk, but also understand that many units have a nearly 100% chance of pulling a tag. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to come join you on a hunt. Where do you typically hunt?

Last edited:
I have found hunting buddies come and go over the years. My best big game hunting buddy turned 71 this month. He is still a go getter but each year I have it stuck in my mind " This may be our last hunt together." Due to a cabin expansion he couldn't make it out West with me this year and we hope to go antelope hunting next year. I had another friend that hunted elk with me and he hung up his hat in 2017 as far as elk hunting goes. I find myself going alone a lot which actually I prefer...other than driving out or packing game off the mountain. This year my wife became my new hunting partner, though she was more of a spectator. She did hear elk that I didn't (take care of your hearing folks) and was a big part of my success. She now wants to get in the game but she has physical limitations which make things more challenging. To sum up my rant here is just be patient you may have to sift through some people before you find a good fit, you will loose some hunting partners, and you might just find an unexpected one!

No better place to meet like-minded individuals than to volunteer for a conservation organization like RMEF, PF, or a local gun club. Much better than a bar I would guess! :whistle:

No better place to meet like-minded individuals than to volunteer for a conservation organization like RMEF, PF, or a local gun club. Much better than a bar I would guess! :whistle:
I've been to one Ducks Unlimited banquet. Not again. Very few of my kind of folks there. Two years ago Pheasants Are Forever had some kind of annual poker fest benefit at the local bar here when I happened to show up to watch a football game. DEFINITELY not my kind of folks. Not saying those organizations don't do good, but big shots ... or people who pretend to be big shots ... are not for me. At the small country bar you have a good chance of meeting small country locals who can assist in finding people and property to hunt. Not everyone who goes in a bar is a drunk. Most of the time I'm drinking Diet Coke straight up.

9rvp9f4AVGbizZ5JI3M-iH5zQIb1gmB1615Q1wJ23Yx1URgh4fCqH8ieD3VSietdWPsxKkwI5eyHv-nmVBQ6x6xOst6V14twezWtHsw0OYCeZnvKfq2QRgpV-Iet8nJ_6brsmIEeCqJFIVOkqYi5YaAniSuWb6oPb00

Good luck in your search and I think some of the above are good suggestions. Everyone has different priorities and hunting with some like-minded folks can definitely make a hunt more fun. However, nothing is worse to me than hunting with someone who is unsafe or entirely on a different wavelength.

I feel your pain, hunted with my dad for my entire life. I have had great hunts since he died, but it has not quite been the same. I hunt alone a lot now.
I still hunt with my dad every year. But he lives in NJ and he's 60 so I'm limited on where I can take him. I love hunting with him.

I was able to hunt with someone off the HT forum this year and had a great experience. Maybe you can find someone here or try meeting people at BHA events possibly.

Good luck!

This guy must be Dick Cheney 😂

I'm trying to get into hunting (started buying points this year). I'm from Iowa and trying to move somewhere in the rocky states. Biggest hindrances is finding someone who will teach me how to properly hunt and the cost of hunting/camping. I'm looking at a 5 year window to gather supplies so I have the necessary provisions.
I really want to make a lasting bond and make a friend I can go hunting with and help each other.

I'm trying to get into hunting (started buying points this year). I'm from Iowa and trying to move somewhere in the rocky states. Biggest hindrances is finding someone who will teach me how to properly hunt and the cost of hunting/camping. I'm looking at a 5 year window to gather supplies so I have the necessary provisions.
I really want to make a lasting bond and make a friend I can go hunting with and help each other.
Iowa is a great hunting state, start there. You can get outfitted with the necessary gear to hunt turkeys or whitetails at home for almost nothing. Some Walmart camo, a shotgun and shells, a call and a license is literally all you need to hunt turkeys this year.

Experience is the best teacher. More often than not, you'll just pick up the bad habits if you try learning from someone else. Just get out there and put in the time.

I am a member on a shotgun forum. Each year there is a get-together on a pheasant hunt at a hunt in SW Missouri. We get about 8-10 guys together and enjoy a weekend of hunting. Yes, they're caged pheasants that are put out before the hunt, but they a scattered over very large fields. The dogs get to work them; it's a great time with guys that have become friends. Everyone shares tips, etc. on hunting, as well as planning future hunting trips.

Back