Need a shuttle ride near big sandy Montana for kayaking trip. June 5th 2022

Montanamooseman

Hey there, I am planning a Missouri river kayaking trip on June 5th 2022 and am looking for a ride for 2 individuals + gear from the put out spot(judith landing campground) to our put in(Coal banks landing). It is a 54 mile trip by vehicle. local outfitters are charging $200 for the ride which is a bit steep for me. so I thought I would present an opportunity to anyone living in the area to make some money driving us and our gear from judith landing campground to coalbanks landing campground. Please make me an offer regarding what you would charge for this service.

Attachments

• kayak trip.png
    kayak trip.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 16
Shuttle services on the Jellystone are charging $60 to for under 10 mile shuttles these days. Id say $200 to go 54 miles is a steal.

Round trip Fort Benton (which is likely the outfitter's location if my memory serves me correctly) on that road in June could take 2.5-3 hours plus time to load up your stuff then take you back to Coal Banks. You're looking at over $30 in fuel (possibly more depending on the truck/van used). If that's not per person then that's likely gonna be the best price

I agree that $200 is a reasonable fee.
First trip Coal Banks to Fred Robinson Bridge, we paid to shuttle pickup camper to take-out. It was more but worth it for just my wife and me.
Next trip with two other couples, the guys drove two vehicles to Fred Robinson Bridge from Ft Benton to shuttle for a trip over the entire Wild and Scenic stretch. It took a full day, but was a fun shuttle, with great burgers at Roy.
Next trip we shuttled ourselves for the same float you are planning. It took half day to shuttle to Judith Landing. The road is mostly gravel, so somewhat slow but enjoyable.
If the price is "a bit steep" then shuttle yourselves. Of course it requires two vehicles and additional time, but that's just what it isHole in the Wall.JPGCitidel Rock.JPGWhite Rocks.JPG.

Some of those gravel roads are very hard on tires. In the last ten years I am very lucky to have only lost one tire to rock cut and I'm in that country six weeks every fall (though maybe only off pavement half the time).

Oh yeah a shuttle service would require 2 people to move your car and not so much transport of you and your gear but mileage will still be the same just now you're paying at least 2 people for 3 hours of driving.

I would definitely like peace of mind not having to jockey rigs around and as mentioned less travel on the gravel roads. That road is a good road just can be soft in the spring. I think you're going to have a great time and the $200 cost will be insignificant to the sights. The geology is awesome, you could see bighorns and maybe even catch some fish if you do a bit of that. June in the Breaks can sometimes be a bit drizzly so make sure you're prepared for squish.

Some of those gravel roads are very hard on tires. In the last ten years I am very lucky to have only lost one tire to rock cut and I'm in that country six weeks every fall (though maybe only off pavement half the time).
That may be the silliest statement heard from someone who purports to have hunted and travelled extensively in Montana.
Fear the gravel! :D

That may be the silliest statement heard from someone who purports to have hunted and travelled extensively in Montana.
Fear the gravel! :D
I don't fear it. The cost of tires needs to be factored into rate. Explains why someone might charge so much. I suppose if drop off was Robinson Bridge and pickup at Ft Benton the rate might be a bit cheaper? It's paved highway all the way.

If I lived in the area, I would. I recognize you're not asking the validity of the outfitters charge, but just if some individual would do it for cheaper. Sounds like great, trip!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back