MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Nebraska Muzzleloader

KyHunter98

Planning on taking a road trip from Kentucky during my winter break from school. Figured because of the cheaper deer tag prices in NE I would stop and spend a few days deer hunting with the muzzleloader there. From the research I have done on here it seems like the best bet is to find some private access. If I can't get access I'll spend my time on whatever public land I can find. Going into this hunt with low expectations, and just wanting to spend some time outdoors.. I figure I'll be chasing mule deer but wouldn't think twice about a whitetail. Other than it being frigid and the possibility for bad weather, do any of yall have any dos or donts before I head that way? Also, recommendations for any can't miss places while in western NE?

I'll be sure to update y'all and let ya know how the hunt goes!

Planning on taking a road trip from Kentucky during my winter break from school. Figured because of the cheaper deer tag prices in NE I would stop and spend a few days deer hunting with the muzzleloader there. From the research I have done on here it seems like the best bet is to find some private access. If I can't get access I'll spend my time on whatever public land I can find. Going into this hunt with low expectations, and just wanting to spend some time outdoors.. I figure I'll be chasing mule deer but wouldn't think twice about a whitetail. Other than it being frigid and the possibility for bad weather, do any of yall have any dos or donts before I head that way? Also, recommendations for any can't miss places while in western NE?

I'll be sure to update y'all and let ya know how the hunt goes!
Good luck. What part of KY are you from?

Public can be pretty tough hunting in December. Archery opens September 1st so the deer have been pressured since then. They get pretty educated by December. Don't let Nebraska Game and Parks marketing fool you. There are Mule Deer but your odds of seeing whitetail are probably higher and the 1,000,000 acres of public land Game and Parks brags about are only 3% of Nebraska.

Make sure you bring your binos and find a high point that you can see 270° around you and a LONG way in each direction. Glass until you find deer. Promise you wont be one of the guys that marches all over the sandhills aimlessly thinking your going to sneak up on a deer...

Vacation time is the most precious thing anyone owns.

Don't waste it on NE deer.
If I could schedule it any other time I'd head to another state! Gonna give it a valiant effort in NE for what its worth. At least I'll be hunting

Public can be pretty tough hunting in December. Archery opens September 1st so the deer have been pressured since then. They get pretty educated by December. Don't let Nebraska Game and Parks marketing fool you. There are Mule Deer but your odds of seeing whitetail are probably higher and the 1,000,000 acres of public land Game and Parks brags about are only 3% of Nebraska.

Make sure you bring your binos and find a high point that you can see 270° around you and a LONG way in each direction. Glass until you find deer. Promise you wont be one of the guys that marches all over the sandhills aimlessly thinking your going to sneak up on a deer...
Thanks for the advice.

Not to be a pain BUT NE is a great deer hunting state. I have taken some really nice muleys and whitetails there.
I have never taken a muley. So I hope to be able to locate some going in blind. That being said, I won't turn my nose up at a whitetail. With this trip being planned last minute I'm going to try and decide on a particular region to hunt by this weekend. Any broad suggestions?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back