NE Muley Buck

oldoregon

I got this guy on the 3rd to the last day of the oregon controlled rifle hunt. I had spent most of my season hunting in an area about 30 miles from my home, and Hadnt seen much. I did pass up a few forked horns, and 2 smaller 4 points. So on the last weekend, I decided to hunt a bit closer to home, and headed into the high country of the eagle cap wilderness about 20 miles away. I took off from a local trail head, and headed up to about 9,000 feet elevation, and spent the day walking the ridgetops and glassing. I even climbed a big peak or too. About noon I spotted 2 huge bucks( I judged them to be about a 150 class typical and a 190 class nontypical), just as they split from the basin I was In. I later found both of theier beds near the lake I was hunting by. Well towards the afternoonn I decided to head back to the pickup. I got started driving back home, and this puck ran acroos the road in front of me, grabbed my rifle and tried to catch up with him. I tested the wind, and it was in my favor, so i tried to circle around in front of the buck and cut him off. It worked! He came out into a clearing at about 50 yards. My 180 grain .30/06 remington corelocked caught him on the top of the lung, and exited forward and right below the backbone. He tipped over about 30 yards from the road. (talk aboout luck) I could barely get him in the truck by myself, because he weighed almost 300 pounds. He is a really heavy 5x7.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back