NASCAR: Ambassador of the unwashed masses?

dgibson

Here's a Yankee's look at the phnomenon of NASCAR. He speaks of Southern ideals as if they're from a foreign land, but has to admit they might be creeping back into his "educated" society a little (but he's obviously hoping not): <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It's a curious thing, Nascar's massive success. In an age of watered-down appeals to the lowest common denominator and concern about offending tender sensibilities, Nascar revels in its throwback authenticity. Races showcase muscular patriotism, grease-filled masculinity, fast cars and the unembarrassed invocation of God. All that goes down very well in the Bible Belt, where Nascar has its roots. But the remarkable growth of the sport has taken Nascar to places that squirm when too many American flags are flown.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://www.opinionjournal.com/la/?id=110003932 MY OPINION: With phrases like "throwback," "gas guzzling," and "moonshiners," there's little doubt what this guy thinks about NASCAR.
rolleyes.gif
I think I might just have to start being a race fan!
biggrin.gif

The "yankees" can talk all the smack they want about NASCAR. I've been going to the races with my family for years, and untill last year we never had seen so much as a disagreement among the spectators. Over 100,000 people gathered for 4 days just partying and meeting new people. Camped out in the parking lot you didin't even have to lock your stuff up. Every thing would be there when you got back.
The sport has grown by leaps and bounds and
because of it's growth the criminal element has followed.
It's not the bunch of god ole boys it used to be, but for the most part it's still the best group of strangers I've ever been around.

Back