Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Mystery Ranch?

slee

Hey, does anyone know what is going on with MR? They hardly have any NICE frame packs anymore, no lift kits, no buying a pack without the frame, No Marshall 6600?

Are they planning on something big to come out or are they too focused on there military contracts?

I do not know for sure. Read on a forum there is a change ahead where you buy a system rather than components you then fit together. Could be 100% wrong. Would not be the first time. This week. Today. This hour. Last 5 minutes. While typing this.

I called on ordered a bag only last week. The story they gave me was that they are not offering a modular nice frame because it is a better business plan. What that really means is that they are trying to offload current inventory before introducing a completely new frame system. That way they are not stuck with old stock. But I may be full of it.
If you are in the same boat as me and just want to order a bag only, I would give them a call. They might just have one left in stock that they didn't know about. Wink..wink...

New Website

I've spoken to them as well. Not sure about the new frame system this year, but one is bound to come in the next 2-3. "The Marshall will be for the NICE frame" (from MR yesterday on the phone). So I think they would upset a lot of folks that just want the bag If they only sold as a system. But DirtyDan makes sense. I just got a frame on ebay so I hope they do bags solo.

They are updating their website to roll out an updated ordering system and new packs "soon". What you see now is the transfer of items and tweaking by the Web folk, e.g. all pictures and Java videos, descriptions, etc. in the hunting expedition area were removed. The mil site is yet untouched and lay I checked selling modular. [Correction: solo, frames (bvs) can be purchased solo not modular] Which leads to the next tid bit...

MR also just hired Providence Marketing Group to handle their hunting line. I think there will be a big push to capture more of that market so that they are an industry leader in that too.
http://www.ammoland.com/2015/04/mys...-group-as-its-marketing-agency/#axzz3WuFVcPEQ

All-in-all, exciting things are coming.

-CAVRGR
"If you ain't Cav..."

Last edited:
Interesting, I'm sure you will still be able to find bags only on the secondary market. I know the Marshall has been delayed at least a year from when it was first supposed to come out(summer of 14). I was going to order one but am now thinking I don't need it. Glad I got what I needed from them when I did.

interesting info. All the top players in the hunting market offer bags solo so I don't understand this move if true. I foresee them loosing a lot more business if they do this.

I don't understand the inventory reason for the simple fact they are made in-house and they have direct control of their inventory levels. If your phasing something out, you slow production down. It's not like they are having to pre order stuff a year in advance from china.

I was hoping for some new lighter weight options but am considering looking elsewhere. I've got a few different MR packs that I really like, but its hard not to consider things that weigh half as much and offer comparable features and capabilities. Kinda interesting the number of packs they used to make and are no longer offering in the hunting, hiking, backpacking and skiing markets; also looks like a bunch of the current hiking packs are now being made overseas.

I was at the shop two weeks ago, and they said the new frame would not be out for at least another year... That being said, they also told me no more selling bags separate from frames. Kind of defeats the concept of buying a system, so I'm not really sure what their goal is. I certainly can't afford to buy a new frame/bag combo to cover me for if different styles of hunts. The guy in the shop did tell me the new frame would fit the old bags. They make some really great packs, but until they decide exactly what's going on, I am holding off on my purchase.

They make some bombproof packs no doubt but all the shenanigans about having to buy the whole system is a huge turn off. They used to have a rep cruise this site years ago answering questions but now it's all hearsay. It's a known fact that this site has a mountain of MR users but they sure don't seem interested in addressing much anymore. Lots of new and up coming pack makers out there and they are being made and developed by hunters. I know that losing a little market share in the hunting area isn't affecting them but I'd be looking at the new lightweight offers from Stone Glacier and Exo.

I value honor and intent. If they end up only doing sets and no solo bags the concept of modular frame / bag system becomes ludicrous. If this is their new marketing plan I'll be selling the crew cab and accessories I just bought for another company. Great customer service doesn't justify taking a dump on your loyal customers. The beauty of it all was that I could use one frame for work and play, anywhere from Afghanistan to Montana. SMH, it's a sad day if what is in this tread is true.

There's about to be less MR customers here. Mark SeaCat used to come on and talk about there product but in the recent past all I hear is hunters are only 5% of their market and now this ridiculousness with the frames. I'm over waiting for them to do something great only to end up disappointed. I'm moving on to Stone Glacier or KUIU. Who needs the last Longbow sold in Optifade with a matching 900 cu in lid?

Yep saw that. It's really hard to believe they would do that, why buy a modular pack system? If they won't sell just a Marshall bag for example, what's the point? I already have a NICE frame. I'm not buying another. And I won't be keping what I have if this is the way it is going to be with MR.

I'm suprised they haven't adressed this yet...I know a couple of pack companies would have the owner online in a heartbeat.

This sucks, I was really thinking of selling my 6500 and picking up the Marshall, but thats not going to happen now if they want me to buy a second nice frame. I can't even buy there lift kit for my metcalf bag. I called them a few days ago and asked and was told I needed to buy the entire package.

Why even have these bags on a nice frame. If your stuck only buying a complete system, why not just go internal and save a couple pounds.

Does Dana still own this company?

Last edited:
Slee - the accessories aren't even available? I looked yesterday at the accessories I'd bought in the past and they are gone too. Side pouches, flip top box pouch, lift kit and couldn't find anything. All I saw online were hip pouches..wahoo!

Hi All,
Andrew from Mystery Ranch here.

First off, I need to apologize for any mis-information that has been leaked as well as any of the confusing changes that have occurred.

A few things that I need to clarify:
• Ownership has not changed.
• We are in the process of working out some kinks on our new website.
• Providence Marketing has been brought in to help with launching some new projects(not products) we have been working on.
• We understand the importance of ‘Bag only/frame only’ purchase options. Please be patient as we update these things on the web. Again, we are in a phase of working the kinks out.
• We will continue to release new products, however until it is on the website or at a tradeshow I wouldn’t get your panties in a bunch. We will give you plenty of time for a ‘heads up, this is coming out’. Please don’t spread rumors on what you heard. You might hear 5 different things from 5 different people, most likely none of which are fully correct or factual-until it is posted by our company.

What I can say is that we have been spending significant time in the design room and testing many new designs-some of which have been in T&E for over 6 years. Sometimes those projects never come to fruition, sometimes they do.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns that anyone has. [email protected]

Thanks for the info Andrew,

So you are saying I will be able to order a Marshall bag only? Also, was one of your staff misinformed when they told me your lift kit is only available with a nice frame and not sold as a single item?

I was hoping someone from MR would jump in here, thanks Andrew. Lots of great work going on that people will be very happy with here in the future.

Thanks Western Hunter!

Slee: We are addressing that option right now. We want to make this an option, it just takes some back end work for it to show up properly in our system and on the web. Hopefully you need a Marshall-bag only for your fall hunts, Spring Bear might be over before that option exists again-fyi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back