My First Hunt - On My Oen Place

Dancerpro

My first hunt on my own place was so exciting. Up bout 3, got everything ready, tended my dogs and cats and climbed the steps to my blind.

This is an adventure a very long time in the making. After purchasing this place, a feeder was purchased, the area around it has been cut low then let go, food has been plenty for a year. My Arkansas Veterans Lifetime hunting and fishing license finally came in. I have been practicing walking quietly for months and that is a lot of fun with a stiff leg and a staff.

Settled in my little nest bout a half hour before legal. I sat in amazement, watching as the world woke up and the light penetrated the darkness. Seeing the stark features came forward, turning into discernable shapes and the colors started peeking through. You hear the sounds of animals coming into this new world and starting their day. Squirrels running around in their trees, birds looking for the early worm and rabbits slowly, half hopping and half crawling as the nibble along.

It bothers me not one iota, no deer showed, though I can see they were plainly here, by the way the ground is traveled and torn. Maybe it is best to sit and wait. There is a certain reward in just spending time.

That's exciting, have fun. Night want to get a leaf blower to blow off your trail. Just my 2 cents.
I saw a lot of big bucks on does this morning all the way from Chicago across Illinois, Indiana PA and MD. If youy not out you can't killum

Thank you for your service, I hope you get many more mornings in the blind. I’m up but the dogs and I have about 2 hours to wait. Best part of the day.
Thank you, it was my pleasure. Thank you for my globe trotting adventures. I saw places most people from Western Texas only dream of. I am up early every morning, just to enjoy the quiet before the day starts. I'm working to get things set up, so they can all join in. For now, it's me and mis Daizie on the hunt.

You are a poet, my friend. Beautifully worded, regardless of typos (🤪)
As mentioned- thank you for your service, and I look forward to seeing what game you may harvest on this first-time hunt on your own land! Good luck!!

You are a poet, my friend. Beautifully worded, regardless of typos (🤪)
As mentioned- thank you for your service, and I look forward to seeing what game you may harvest on this first-time hunt on your own land! Good luck!!
That means a great deal, thank you.

I look forward to seeing what game you may harvest on this first-time hunt on your own land! Good luck!!
I have seen nothing, so far. However, having 4-5 hours a day to enjoy the quiet, mull over plans and just spending time with my dogs, is by far worth it. I'd like to spend more time to hunt, unfortunately, there are other jobs that are required to keep this place going. I and myself are always cutting out, so that just leaves, me. I'll keep you posted through the rest of the season. I may just keep this up, going out and sitting for a couple hours, morning and evening, nice way to shrug the world off.

I have seen nothing, so far. However, having 4-5 hours a day to enjoy the quiet, mull over plans and just spending time with my dogs, is by far worth it. I'd like to spend more time to hunt, unfortunately, there are other jobs that are required to keep this place going. I and myself are always cutting out, so that just leaves, me. I'll keep you posted through the rest of the season. I may just keep this up, going out and sitting for a couple hours, morning and evening, nice way to shrug the world off.
Found out a couple logging operations setup just as the season started and all of my neighbors say they have really upset the season, deer just aren't traveling like normal.

There are 3 more days left to this season and then 3 more just after Christmas, that's 12 more sits.

No matter how it turns out, I consider hunting a part of God's animal welfare plan. God created Heaven and Earth, then populated them in kind. Then made humans and told us to watch out for everything that was made. If we do not hunt, herd growth and ever changing climate (which is normal) will cause over population, leading to disease, leading to weak herds, then predators grow strong, over populate, kill off food source and die. We hunt, keep herds, packs, flocks, schools and what ever else I'm missing, in check, preserving a balance, God smiles. I have a lifetime license and aim to make use of it. I like fish, so I put in a half acre pond and stocked it. In Arkansas, I have to have a license to fish in that same pond. Now I have one and hopefully God'll grin a little. I'll be back next year, no matter how this year turns out.

This could honestly be one of the most well written threads ever. Very nicley done sir. Can't wait to hear more. Good luck
Thank you, this is one of the best compliments I have ever received and I greatly appreciate it, thank you.

I remember you showing up on the forum a while back and asking questions as you started the process towards where you are now. I'm really excited that you're making progress on your hunting goals and experiences and sharing it here.

The part of hunting you're describing about starting your day off in the woods, being able to think and clear your mind and enjoy nature... THAT is what really keeps me coming back to hunting, especially deer hunting. That you have discovered that feeling and are pursuing it means you're probably HOOKED now lol. Congratulations on everything, I hope you get a chance to see/shoot a deer but even if you don't I think you'll be able to call this a very successful season.

I remember you showing up on the forum a while back and asking questions as you started the process towards where you are now. I'm really excited that you're making progress on your hunting goals and experiences and sharing it here.

The part of hunting you're describing about starting your day off in the woods, being able to think and clear your mind and enjoy nature... THAT is what really keeps me coming back to hunting, especially deer hunting. That you have discovered that feeling and are pursuing it means you're probably HOOKED now lol. Congratulations on everything, I hope you get a chance to see/shoot a deer but even if you don't I think you'll be able to call this a very successful season.
This season could not be more successful! This journey started Oct '18, with a very clear picture, that has changed so much, I can't really remember what it looked like. As circumstances changed, the goal changed and sharpened. I am close to Louisiana, Texas and Oklahoma I have 4 states to play in, however, I'd rather hunt and fish here at home. Yes sir, I'm hooked and I believe it is a habit, that will help me develop other good habits. I am taking 2-2 1/2 hours each morning and evening, to sit, relax and watch. That time can also be used to learn, read or/and figure out how to start a business. Tech a human to think, give them time and get ready to be amazed. I hope to have been a good student and if what I have said helps, a good teacher. You were all good teachers and I don't have enough apples, so all I have to offer to every single one of you, thank you for all your support, jokes and nudges. You all are a big part of my success, thank you.

This season was a huge success. I made it all the way, to include, the hunt, on my own place. I was able to sit 2 - 2 1/2 each morning and evening, and learned so much from it. It would have been nice for a deer or 2 to have shown up, but that is why they call it hunting.

Only 2 deer in about a square mile were taken this season, so it was a really strange season, according to neighbors. I am collecting supplies for a circle trap for hogs, so maybe something will happen there.

I'd like to try and draw turkey to the property, however, none of the neighbors have seen turkeys in decades in this area.

Yes, I'm hooked and I believe being a part of God's wildlife management program is going to be a big part of the rest ofmy life. Thank you all for all your help.

There's nothing more fulfilling than be able to hunt your own place. It's even better when you live there. I hunt every day and sometimes I even take a rifle.

Back