Caribou Gear

My 2021 NM bull

nwihunter

A buddy and myself spent the 3 days leading up to opening day scouting our hunt area without turning up much sign at all. Talked to couple of muzzleloader hunters that hadn’t seen or heard anything on their entire hunt so that was kinda disappointing to hear. We made the decision to move our camp about 1 1/2” miles and another 1000 ft. higher in elevation to put ourselves closer to where I wanted to be for opening morning. I’ve hunted this area a couple of times so had a plan of where I wanted to be at first light of opening day. All of our area we were focused on was over 10,000 feet in elevation and my hunting partner was definitely struggling whenever we had to climb. He had underestimated how hard this kind of hunt would be since we come from around 700ft of elevation at home. We made the hike in the dark and set up on the end of about a mile long strip of grassy hillside that was maybe a quarter mile wide at the widest point. This was my buddies first western hunt of any kind and the plan was for him to have the first shot at any legal bull. I had gotten my first elk the year prior and was hoping to get him on one on his first elk hunt. I got on my binos as soon as there was enough light and instantly spot a herd at the opposite end of the grass strip we were on. It wasn’t really light enough to tell if there were any bulls in the group or not but a couple of the elk looked much bigger than the others. After a couple of minutes of watching them I had to come up with a plan quick before they moved off into timber. My partner knew he wasn’t going be able to chase them down so I made the decision to sprint after them. I dropped down to the timberline and ran 3/4 mile to get to where they were but I would now be working uphill towards them with the wind in my face and them just over a little rise where we couldn’t see each other. I was Crouched down and working my way uphill towards where they should be and I spot a head and antlers looking right at me and under 100yds. Shit! I about crapped myself and quickly ducked down to where I could only see the top of his rack. Since we are in an open grassy area I have nowhere to hide. Meanwhile my buddy has a front row seat to this entire stalk through his binos. This I where I screw up. I let out a soft cow call to try and settle down the situation and my buddy says every animal stopped and looked my way. I should have never made that call but I am still a rookie and trying to figure elk out. I saw the rack turn and start to walk broad side so I made my move and ran up the hill a few steps and there he stood. I dropped to my knee and shot. I knew he was hit from his reaction and he ran about 5yds and was out of sight over the next rise. I chambered another round and ran up to the last spot i saw him and just waited there not wanting to push a wounded animal. That’s when I heard 3 or 4 moans and I knew that it had to be him. The plan was to wait for my buddy to get over to me before I went to look for him but I couldn’t wait any longer. I slowly slipped up hill following the blood trail and I spot the tip of the horn over the next rise. That was it he only went 50yds and piled up. I’ve had very few elk encounters in the 5 seasons that I’ve hunted for elk and figured I would screw up a dozen stalks before I would ever pull one off but it happened on my first stalk. I could not have drawn the play up anymore perfect than it played out. I know a lot of luck played into but I’ll take it. Tagged out 30 minutes into opening morning with only my second elk and my biggest bull.

Attachments

• F18E7963-184D-4DDF-9960-35666856DDE1.jpeg
    F18E7963-184D-4DDF-9960-35666856DDE1.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 108
  • AD826386-6FB6-46CC-9E79-82F82CF8CE95.jpeg
    AD826386-6FB6-46CC-9E79-82F82CF8CE95.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 108
  • 2605CE02-9A86-4BCA-86F9-D30E2C7E5B28.jpeg
    2605CE02-9A86-4BCA-86F9-D30E2C7E5B28.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 109
Nice bull Congrats!! Did your buddy get an elk?
He did not. He tapped out after I filled my tag. He would have toughed it out the rest of the hunt if I was needing to fill my tag but he was done running up hills. He learned a lot and got a chance to try out all of his new gear that he bought for this trip. It’s hard for us flatlanders to be up at that kind of elevation. We will be back in the mountains somewhere next year chasing elk and he will be ready.

He did not. He tapped out after I filled my tag. He would have toughed it out the rest of the hunt if I was needing to fill my tag but he was done running up hills. He learned a lot and got a chance to try out all of his new gear that he bought for this trip. It’s hard for us flatlanders to be up at that kind of elevation. We will be back in the mountains somewhere next year chasing elk and he will be ready.
Dude know that all too well myself! Its tough working at elevation when you're used to 1100'....

Did you acclimate to the altitude before going hard into hunting?

Dude know that all too well myself! Its tough working at elevation when you're used to 1100'....

Did you acclimate to the altitude before going hard into hunting?
We stayed 1 night at around 5,000ft and only did maybe a 4 mile hike the first day without doing much climbing. It wasn’t an issue with altitude sickness for either of us. I think it was more of an issue with his cardio level not being that high. I ran a marathon the day before we left for our trip. I don’t for a second think that you need to run marathons to hunt out west as I’m sure their are a ton of guys on this forum that don’t and can run circles around me in the mountains. I do think it helped me out personally running all of those miles all spring and summer. He’ll be ready to hit it hard with me next year I’m sure.

Way to go, nice bull, congrats! Good job closing the distance at 10,000 ft, not everybody could do that!

We stayed 1 night at around 5,000ft and only did maybe a 4 mile hike the first day without doing much climbing. It wasn’t an issue with altitude sickness for either of us. I think it was more of an issue with his cardio level not being that high. I ran a marathon the day before we left for our trip. I don’t for a second think that you need to run marathons to hunt out west as I’m sure their are a ton of guys on this forum that don’t and can run circles around me in the mountains. I do think it helped me out personally running all of those miles all spring and summer. He’ll be ready to hit it hard with me next year I’m sure.
Awesome man. I tried going from SD to 9k in CO without rest or acclimation... Bad idea. Running marathons at least gets your lungs ready for the climbing.

Good work

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back