Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

My 2019 Iowa season

duckhunt

I really like the threads that are ongoing throughout spring, summer, and fall. So for this year this is how I am going to tell my story.

To start the thread I 'll tell you a story from 2 weeks ago.

In northeast Iowas driftless region I was scouting for spring turkeys. It was cold, cloudy, and windy. Didn't here a gobble or see a turkey all morning so I decided to go check out some other public land.

Again no turkeys. So as im pulling away from a parking area, a rooster pheasant comes running out of the weeds right at me. He gets right by my truck and stops. I just kind of laugh and get my phone out and snap a picture.

Now it gets interesting. As I try to pull away he starts purring and pecking my front tire. After about 100 yards I speed up so I get infront of him and not run him over. As I speed up he starts running after me at full speed. Im pretty much trying to laugh, drive, and watch him at the same time. As I get farther ahead he decides to take flight and make sure hes going to chase me out of hus territory. The whole incident lasted about a mile down the road. You just never know what you're going to see while out scouting.

Heading back this weekend for more scouting and possibly perch fishing. Screenshot_20190410-042019.pngheres the fiesty rooster

Last edited:
Time to catch up a bit. During my turkey scouting efforts I managed to locate a few gobblers in the roost. That gave me a game plan for the following weekend. Since I had a plan it was time to spend some time with Drake and do some fishing in a flooded Mississippi river.20190413_105210.jpg20190413_101141.jpg20190413_101452.jpg20190413_091820.jpg
The fish didnot want to cooperate

The next weekend its turkey time. Well turkey hunting didnt work out very good.
Up early and getting ready I managed to tweak my back pretty good. It sucks but out the door I go. When I get to the first parking area theres already a truck there. No big deal, off to the second spot. Yeah a truck there also. I guess I should have got out there earlier. Ok time to do something different.

I go to a different spot and go in blind. I walk in, set up and just sit. I can hear some gobbling way off to my right and another behind me. Once they fly down off the roost both go silent. I do a little walking and calling but never located them again. By now my back is in bad shape so back to the cabin I go for the rest of the day.

The next day I head back to where I was the day before. My back was still in bad shape so I just walk in set up the decoy. I sit for a couple hours and couldn't take it anymore. I could only sit for about 15 minutes then have to stand to stretch my back. Sit stand sit stand. This isnt even fun anymore. Back to the cabin to end my turkey hunting.

A couple weeks later I managed to head back to the river fishing with dad. Spent some time trout fishing and lost 2 fish. We did manage to catch a few bass and northern off the wall at the dam. River is still flooded so we decided to leave the boat in camp. 20190505_083648.jpgResized952019050695103050952484.jpg

My grandpa gave me a 20 gauge 870 twenty years ago and mine works flawlessly too! Great guns.

I grew up with my dad's 870 Wingmaster and when it came time to buy my first gun I was able to find an 870 that was nearly identical with a walnut stock. I like the overall gun so much that I bought a camo-ed version with a supermag receiver for duck hunting. Great gun.

Back