Muzzy with 50 grains powder

BRoth82

Question for you guys,
My daughter wants to deer hunt this year and being we live in an area that is shotgun or muzzy only.
She has shot bird shot out of my youth model 870 express and seems to flinch a bit with the recoil. I have a muzzleloader that I was thinking of loading with 50 grains of power and a hornady sst? All of the shots will be under 100 yards and more likely under 50 yards. I do have a scope of the mizzy but just the bead on the shotgun.
Do you think 50 grains would be enough for deer under 100 yards, and do you think the recoil would be a little less than a 2-3/4" slug out of the shot gun?

Question for you guys,
My daughter wants to deer hunt this year and being we live in an area that is shotgun or muzzy only.
She has shot bird shot out of my youth model 870 express and seems to flinch a bit with the recoil. I have a muzzleloader that I was thinking of loading with 50 grains of power and a hornady sst? All of the shots will be under 100 yards and more likely under 50 yards. I do have a scope of the mizzy but just the bead on the shotgun.
Do you think 50 grains would be enough for deer under 100 yards, and do you think the recoil would be a little less than a 2-3/4" slug out of the shot gun?
Never tried it but hard to imagine the recoil would be less than the 870 with bird shot.

If you're talking less than 50 yards, is crossbow an option?

I'm looking into that as well, being it is a early firearms youth hunt not sure she can use a crossbow. Luckily I'm in MN and they just made it legal for anyone to use a crossbow during the archery season, just not sure she can use it during the firearms season.

You'll have to see what bullet shoots well obviously but it'll work. A lot of flintlocks shoot well in the 50-70 gr charge range.

It will depend on if you're shooting ffg or fffg what recoil is, but both will be more than manageable for your young lady.

Not sure what muzzle loader?

A light, 200 grain sabot combination and 50 to 70 grains powder should be good.

I think you could get the .429 200 XTP and Harvester and make a good load.

My daughter at the age of 8 killed her first deer with a .50cal Traditions Hawken with a Hornaday Great Plains Bullet and 50 grains of FF Goex black powder. The young buck which I had patterned from archery season was about 10 yds from the make shift ground blind we were in. Perfect shot and pass through...died with in sight.

Both of my daughters have taken quite a few deer with 50grs of powder and a 44 mag 225gr ftx in a harvester sabot. It's deadly at 50yds and ok to 75 probably farther even. For us there's very little recoil nothing compared to a shotgun. My daughters are on the small side and started using this setup at 8yrs old with no problems.

When my son was little he used a 20 gauge with sabots - the following year he was concerned about recoil so I told him I had special shells. He shot another deer - then said “dad I thought you had special shells 😂😂😂”. I agree crossbows are a great way to introduce kids to hunting though as the recoil issues are non existent.

I did similar when my son was little. Only down side was that the muzzleloader was so barrel heavy he struggled to hold it if it wasn’t on a bipod. I always carried it in so that wasn’t a problem.

I’d say keep your shots to 50 yards, not 100 with that load, it probably will have a fairly rainbow trajectory and will carry low energy out that far (still need to be going for ethical kills).

And maybe use a different bullet like an 240 XTP that will still expand well at such diminished velocities. Recoil should be very manageable.

Last edited:
Biggest thing I can say is make sure the gun fits. We use check pads to get them to be tight to gun stock and see through scope. Son was using .223 at 7 and had to raise head and got smacked and was sensitive for awhile. Even saying .223 made him shutter. With different gun was able to get him shooting and we worked up from .223 to 6.5 with a muzzle brake.

I had my son use 50 grains in muzzleloader and I had some lightweight knight bullet I think 170 grains maybe even 150. Never shot at deer with it. Loaded 65 grains when hunting thinking with adrenalin wouldnt notice. We tried the reduced recoil slugs a few years later definitely more kick. He got one with crossbow. The .350 legend with some light bullets 150 gr might be a good option 170 tops. A brake could take some kick off but noise can cause flinching or better yet get a can.

My girls used a cva wolf with 70 grains blackhorn and a cheap shot from t/c. Shots were 10-60 yds and it filled thier tags

At close range you're prolly good. If it's a real muzzle loader, flintlock, the delay may cause a prob.
I'd have her shoot the 870 a bunch. A new fangled muzzy should be cake.

I've killed whitetails with 70grains of black powder with a patched round ball and yes recoil is less then a shotgun slug
keep the shots close as you can under 75 yards

I think you've got a good plan and the felt recoil is liable to be significantly lower.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back