Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Muzzleloader recommendation for elk under $1500

Primitive has nothing to do with price.
This will do

I found what they are after. And I get your point.

Yes sir, from the instructions that came with the mold, videos of experts and idiots, and a camp stove along with $7 in Goodwill cooking implements, I just did that.

I mined some lead last week from a BLM wildcat range thinking I would wash off dirt, melt it down, skim off casings. But then I watched some videos of people “exploding” melted lead and decided to start with pure clean lead.
There was a kid that died from lead poisoning "mining" his own lead from local gun ranges. Just FYI.

Anyone use the Remington 700 bolt action muzzleloader?
I’ve got one, it shoots great. I put a trigger tech trigger in it and a breech plug upgrade from arrowhead rifles, and a muzzle brake. Overall I’ve been happy with it. It has only ever been fired at an animal one time, two weeks ago when my daughter killed a buck in Colorado with it.

Have you got a link to that story?
My nephew had heard about the kid. I believe that it was up in Michigan. It's a true story. He was collecting the lead from the backstops, and as I remember it took 9-12 most and it hit him. I'll ask him for more details.

I’ve got one, it shoots great. I put a trigger tech trigger in it and a breech plug upgrade from arrowhead rifles, and a muzzle brake. Overall I’ve been happy with it. It has only ever been fired at an animal one time, two weeks ago when my daughter killed a buck in Colorado with it.
Im done with CVA, so I'm between the Remington and Knight.

This is the factory set up (breech plug), I put a different breech plug in mine to handle heavy charges of BH209. When scoped it can turn in 5 inch groups at 400 yards - if it’s not to windy.

Attachments

• IMG_9858.jpeg
    IMG_9858.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
I shoot a CVA Optima V2 50 cal LR nitride rifle. Topped with a Leupold 3x9x40mm Ultimate Slam ML scope. 84 grs blackhorn powder by weight. 290gr bore driver. No issues with the setup. I carry mine during rifle season. Mine is a tack driver. My next one will be a CVA Accura 50 cal LRX. Topped with a Leupold Ultimate Slam 3x9x40mm ML scope.

This is the factory set up (breech plug), I put a different breech plug in mine to handle heavy charges of BH209. When scoped it can turn in 5 inch groups at 400 yards - if it’s not to windy.
Ive got a Knight disc rifle I bought 23 years. It uses shotgun primers. I notice that you use pistol cartridges ex the powder and bullet? Is that right? Not familiar with that ignition method. What type of rifle? Is the briass hard to remove after the shot? Any issues? How about accuracy at say 100 yards?

Ive got a Knight disc rifle I bought 23 years. It uses shotgun primers. I notice that you use pistol cartridges ex the powder and bullet? Is that right? Not familiar with that ignition method. What type of rifle? Is the briass hard to remove after the shot? Any issues? How about accuracy at say 100 yards?
The original pistol case type brass ignition system (pictured in my earlier post) is very easy to remove; the Arrowhead ignition modules I have now are a little more difficult to remove from the bolt because they are much smaller. I went to that system because I was shooting ridiculous charge volumes of BH209 shooting out to 500 yards and the original ignition system had issues with flame cutting the breech plug with heavy BH209 loads. It is a Remington built on a Model 700 action. Accuracy far exceeds my expectations.

I know of a Lyman Great Plains (not sure of twist or caliber but 50 or .54) for about $600 with great wood. About a mile up the road, if anyone is interested.

I own 2 muzzleloaders. One is a .50 cal TC Impact with a Burris 3x9 scope that I’ve taken a Bull elk and 2 deer with. I just recently bought a Knight ultralight .52 cal from a friend that I put a Williams peep sight on and plan on using in Colorado or Nee Mexico. If I was to buy another I would definitely go with a nitride barrel. Leaving a blackhorn 209 charge in the barrel for a few days builds up a little rust

Back