Muzzleloader powder? How much?

streamer

Got some new bullets found the Fedeal bor lok and the powerbelt aero tip I have been shooting 100 grains triple 7 granulated one is 250 other is 270 grain ideas on how much powder so I don’t waste more rounds getting sited in again?

Start at 90gr and work up to 120 and see what shoots the best. No perfect answer, but my best loads are in the 90-100gr range. I usually shoot less with heavier bullets and more with lighter bullets. Its a short range weapon (or mine is) and I really don't care if its going 100-200fps faster just to shoot more powder. A 450gr piece of lead through the lungs is going to hurt.

Both of mine like 100 grain/volume BH209 behind the BorLock bullets. I started there for load development and it shot lights out, so called it a day and have been using that for a couple years now.
That said, odds are decent your gun will like a different combo better, so if you're not getting good groups I'd certainly take @Bambistew advice and tinker around a bit.

Last year for elk I shot 100 grains of powder with a 300 grain platinum power belt. This year I’ll be shooting 100 grains of American pioneer powder and a 300 grain Thor bullet

Blackhorn 209 powder 110grs and 250gr Barnes in CVA Plains Rifle shoots great, good luck

I shoot 100 with a 420 grain bullet. The others are right, start at 90 and work your way up. Every gun and bullet combo will shoot differently, so find out whats best for your gun.

Good advice here on starting low and working up. I did that last year and my gun likes the light load pushing a 300 gr Scorpion PT Gold. Shoots dang near clover leaves at 100 yards. Killed a cow with it last year no problem. Hoping to get two cows and my mule deer with that load in a few weeks.

I always start with max loads :). Who doesn't want the most performance? Most of my rigs handle that well enough for hunting. I'd rather happily shoot a 2in max load group and quit while I'm a head then have to choose between it and a reduced load that shoots 1.5in.

To answer your question, 84gr by weight of BH209 shoots the 270 copper BOR Locks extremely well for me. I'm shooting a Traditions Vortek and Remington Genesis (made by Traditions) both with the 26 inch barrels. They shoot the same load very well. I'm sub 2in at 100 yards with iron sights

Do yourself a favor and buy a $20 digital scale on Amazon. Your groups will shrink without doing anything else. I have found that BH is the most inconsistent volumetric powder I have used. I can weigh an 84g load and easily pack it to 105gr by volume and fluff it to 120gr by volume. I also think that weight is the only way to go when pushing max loads.

I shoot 110 grains of 777. I shot 100 grains of granular 777 for years before that, and also had great results.

Shooting B.O.R. 350 gr with 115g BH 209, CCI Magnum primers, Traditions Strikerfire LDR. 1" +/- .25" groups at 100 yds. I started with 90 gr BH, then increased by 5 until I hit 120 gr. Found the best load at 115 gr. I don't have a scale (yet), so I have to go with my powder measure.

Start at 90gr and work up to 120 and see what shoots the best. No perfect answer, but my best loads are in the 90-100gr range. I usually shoot less with heavier bullets and more with lighter bullets. Its a short range weapon (or mine is) and I really don't care if its going 100-200fps faster just to shoot more powder. A 450gr piece of lead through the lungs is going to hurt.
Hello, can I know how much gr for T/C hawkin .50cal using lead round ball to paper target? I always afraid my muzzleloader "boom" when I use over-volumed powder:(

My dad's Hawken shoots best at around 80 gr. I would start at about 70 and work up 5 gr at a time to find the sweet spot. Are you shooting real black powder or a substitute?

I shot several shots today out of a 50 cal hawken. I use 90 grains with good results. I shoot 110 grains out of my t/c renegade 54 cal.

for paper shooting you can use as little at 25gr 2fg or 3fg. No need to waste powder for paper unless you want to practice with full charge hunting loads. I personally shoot the load i use in the field. Burn it into your memory over and over and it sticks.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back