Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Muzzle Brake Removal on Savage 110 (timberline)

MtnElk

Anyone here have any experience removing the muzzle break from the Savage 110 line? I have a 110 Timberline and brought it into Sportman's and we couldn't get it off. Before I take it somewhere else on Monday, thought I might it out here just in case someone knows something I don't. Because the manual doesn't say s%^&. It's too damn loud and I want to re-zero soon.

Put it in boiling water for 10-15mins and try it again while its hot. It works best if you can get a punch through the holes for leverage.
Thanks! I'll give that a go later. now just need to search the inter webs for a thread protector

I feel for you dude. As mentioned I am in a similar boat, but with a different more permanent feeling brake. My Dad and I tried to turn it yesterday and no luck. I need to order some Kroil and send it to my Dad’s house and have it soak for a day.
If I had the $$ and knew 100% that I am going to keep it ( Shoots 180-200 grain bullets well at 100 yards) I would have a smith cut the barrel to 22 inches and rethread it and cap it.
I wish you well on getting your brake off

I feel for you dude. As mentioned I am in a similar boat, but with a different more permanent feeling brake. My Dad and I tried to turn it yesterday and no luck. I need to order some Kroil and send it to my Dad’s house and have it soak for a day.
If I had the $$ and knew 100% that I am going to keep it ( Shoots 180-200 grain bullets well at 100 yards) I would have a smith cut the barrel to 22 inches and rethread it and cap it.
I wish you well on getting your brake off
Thanks man! Hope you get yours off too!

You’re welcome and thank you 🙏 I hope so too. I thought about calling Savage and sending it in for repair. I am not sure what that will cost and I have never shipped a firearm

$25 and one awesome conversation with a gunsmith later and it was off and a thread protector added. Only heard him swear twice 🤣
Thanks for letting me know that. I hope that I can find someone who would do that for a similar price.
I bought some Kroil penetrating oil and a two pack of strap wrenches online. Hopefully 🙏 that will work first.

I am hoping that the penetrating oil will work and I won’t have to do that. I have thought about cutting an inch or two off and have it threaded and capped. I will have to check with my local gunsmiths on costs if it comes to that.

I am hoping that the penetrating oil will work and I won’t have to do that. I have thought about cutting an inch or two off and have it threaded and capped. I will have to check with my local gunsmiths on costs if it comes to that.
You don't want it but might have it cut off and the barrel threaded and re-capped? What's the deal with that?

You don't want it but might have it cut off and the barrel threaded and re-capped? What's the deal with that?
I know that I am rather indecisive and ask questions to cover all my options before making a decision.
I am going to try and keep it. I want to get it fixed first. But if down the line I can get a suppressor I will just cut it shorter 22 in down from 24 before the brake, 26 including the brake. My brake is one of those adjustable ones that Savage puts on some rifles. I am supposed to be able to turn it off, but currently can’t.
It definitely has crossed my mind to later on buy or build up a lighter weight 308 or 7mm 08 that I could suppress as well.

You guys know that if he changed his mind down the road, he could just have the barrel re-threaded and put one back on again. Who knowsmaybe if he did and decided to remove it again he'd be able to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back