Muzzelloaders and Elk what do you shot?

The ? I should have asked is, with any extra bullets could I use these for deer also. This is reason for tread I don't use powerbelts any more. I shot Nosler's but they are sabots, not legal in CO. Thanks for the info.

Yes
The "No Excuses" bullet will work well on any med. or big game animal.
The design is basically a semi wadcutter.
Like Bambistew said, your punching a .50 caliber hole, all the way through an animal, you don't need expansion. You need penetration, and this big, heavy bullet will do that.

This photo is a pistol bullet, but it looks very similar.
http://firearmsid.com/Bullets/images/bt07.jpg

Streamer, what gun are you shooting ? Have you ever "slugged" the barrel to find the true bore diameter ?

Last edited:
I shot a TC Omega 50 cal. I have never heard of slugging a gun barrel. I do know that muzzel barrels are not as precise as rifle barrels. I've experimented a little with other bullets but either the Nozlers of the TC bullets seem to shoot the best. Started with powerbelts easy loading but can't handle fast speeds. Went less on powder from 150 to 100gr kept better groups with this change. I do feel you need some expansion with the bullet so you create more energy apon inpact from the bullet.

you better check the regs for colorado,i think they are pretty strict with whats allowed for a muzzle loader tag hunt,not even sure if inlines are allowed?

Yes they are I've been there twice with one. Just NO scopes and NO sabots, might have to shoot powder not pellets, not sure about powder its been a few years.

I shot a TC Omega 50 cal. I have never heard of slugging a gun barrel. I do know that muzzel barrels are not as precise as rifle barrels. I've experimented a little with other bullets but either the Nozlers of the TC bullets seem to shoot the best. Started with powerbelts easy loading but can't handle fast speeds. Went less on powder from 150 to 100gr kept better groups with this change. I do feel you need some expansion with the bullet so you create more energy apon inpact from the bullet.

Your TC probably won't shoot the big heavies too well if it has the recessed crown easy loader abortion thingy. I'd still give them a try. A word of caution as you probably know the more lead you shoot the less powder you should use, pressures increase dramatically. IMO 150 grains of powder is a wast of 50 grains every time you pull the trigger, It's tough to get 120-125 to ignite consistently. Shoot over a white sheet or tarp and youll see how much is blown out without burning. If you chronograph loads and work your way up you'll also see the velocity flat line around a 120 grains. WTF is knock down power? Ive seen a couple elk knocked down with a single shot from a 22-250 is that he same? Energy transfer? How does that work with an arrow? Velocity doesn't kill, the quarter size hole through both lungs does. Trust me you'll get plenty of whop with a big slow bullet. :D

Here are the regulations for muzzle loaders via the DOW website,

3. MUZZLELOADING RIFLES & SMOOTHBORE MUSKETS
a. Only legal muzzleloaders allowed in muzzleloading seasons. b. In-line muzzleloaders are legal. c. Must be single-barrel that fires a single round-ball or conical pro-
jectile. d. To hunt deer, pronghorn or bear, they must be min. of .40 caliber. e. Tohuntelkormoose,theymustbemin.of.50caliber. f. From.40caliberto.50caliber,bulletsmustweighmin.170grains. g. Ifgreaterthan.50caliber,bulletsmustweighmin.210grains. h. Shotshell primers are legal. i. Pelletizedpowdersystemsprohibitedinmuzzleloadingseasons. j. Cannotbeloadedfromthebreechinmuzzleloadingseasons. k. Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Fiber op-
tics and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are legal. Scopes or any sighting device using artificial light, batteries and electronic gear are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons. l. Sabots are prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Cloth patches are not sabots.
m. Smokeless powder prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Black powder and black powder substitutes are legal.
n. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or attached to muzzleloader during muzzleloading sea- sons.

As far as a good load all I can tell you is try as many different combinations as possible everyone has their own opinion but what matters is what load are you confident in. To test bullet performance we shoot 30 gallon plastic barrels full of water you can see the weight retention and expansion if your worried about penetration taped together old phone books work in a pinch good luck and know your limitations have a range finder and shot placement is more important than bullet performance.

“Slugging” the barrel involves taking an oversized lead bullet like the “No Excuses”, and pushing it through the barrel from breech to muzzle with a stiff, strong ram rod or dowel rod, then using a micrometer to measure it. That way, you know the true diameter of your bore.

T/Cs (by reputation) have tight bores, probably .500 or .501.

Also (by reputation) T/Cs shoot sabots real good, but not so good with full bore bullets (not what you wanted to hear for Colorado).
Still, with a little experimentation, you should be able to find a good combination.

I found, in my T/C (Black Mt. side lock) the No Excuses 460 gr shot OK (4 inche groups) with iron sights, but then I tried using a .50 fiber wad between powder and bullet, and bingo, 2” groups at 100 yards with iron sights, and 100 to 120 grains of pyrodex RS.

If I were you, for a Colorado legal elk load I would try out two different bullets;

The 460 No Excuses with a wad and 90 to 120 grains of powder.
The Power belt 405 Aero Tip with 90 to 100 grains of powder.

I believe you will find that it will be easier to find an accurate load with the Power Belt, you will have to play around with different loads to find the “right one” that makes to 460 No Excuses shoot good, but when it comes to terminal performance ( how fast & effective it kills elk) the 460 No Excuses will be far better.

P.S. The guy who sold you a 265 Power belt did NOT know what he was talking about, that bullet was made for deer, and loads of under 110 grains.

I won't bore you with the story but you will have to put me in the camp of "no Powerbelts". I lost a bull in 2007 that I shot with 150gr of powder and a 300 Powerbelt. I agree with the comments above about the bullet breaking up and not penetrating. I read an article in the last few months in one of the magazines where they studied bullet penetration. It was no surprise to me that the end of the story showed the Powerbelt broken into little pieces.

You have read enough doubters on this thread about the bullets perfomance. Do yourself a favor and shoot something else.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back