Multiple Game Food Plot

Dancerpro

Finelly found a place in Arkansas and I find myself in a position to hunt and, with a bit of work, fish on my own property. The property is divided in half by the house and was owned by a horse person at one time. The horseman put up a 2" pipe fence bordering the road and started dividing up paddocks. There is a natural drainage and soaking field, that I plan to turn into a pond. I am looking for resources to learn about setting up multi-species food plots at each end of the property. I know there are deer (my neighbor hunts here and tagged out on our combined properties), hog (caught on camera) and turkey (I hear them), there are small game species as well. I am looking to bring in more game and provide an ecosystem that encourages growth.

For small game part of it. Pile up thick brush along the edges of the plots for the game birds and rabbits to hole up in.

What kinda acreage are you looking at? Do you have a guess on the size of the paddocks?
I own 7 3/4 acres and my neighbor owns 1/4 acre, his property sets inside my property line. Actually, his was divided out for him by the fellow I purchased this place from. My house divides the property nearly in half, so each area is about 4 acres. I'm still looking for an excavation company to do the pond, which I want to wait till the Spring fuel price drop.

Attachments

• Polish_20220103_102307103.png
    Polish_20220103_102307103.png
    848.6 KB · Views: 13
Finelly found a place in Arkansas and I find myself in a position to hunt and, with a bit of work, fish on my own property. The property is divided in half by the house and was owned by a horse person at one time. The horseman put up a 2" pipe fence bordering the road and started dividing up paddocks. There is a natural drainage and soaking field, that I plan to turn into a pond. I am looking for resources to learn about setting up multi-species food plots at each end of the property. I know there are deer (my neighbor hunts here and tagged out on our combined properties), hog (caught on camera) and turkey (I hear them), there are small game species as well. I am looking to bring in more game and provide an ecosystem that encourages growth.
Check out Deadly Dozen by Real World products. They are located in Illinois. I use it on my farm in KY

Ive done many acres in food plots one thing I always do is plant different things in the same plots mostly by planting X number of feet or yrds of one type then X of another. The reason is deer know what they need to eat depending on weather and time of yr
We had areas they would not touch all yr then in july hammer them till the field looked like it was cut with a brush hog
and then move to something else
a varied diet will keep em around a lot more Ive said I love a beacon cheese burger but not everyday
The other thing is you can save a lot of $ by getting seed at local feed mill, they usually sell many clovers, brasicas,cow peas ect.

I agree with what dgc1963 just said about planting in strips with variety. If you had a bit more room is recommend something similar on a larger scale. If you plant a perennial I'd recommend Roundup ready alfalfa.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back