PEAX Equipment

Muley Whitey Hybrid?

Spitz

So, during one of my many wanderings this year, I picked up this skull. It was peculiar enough to bring home and clean up. I found it in an area inhabited mostly by mulies, but whiteys can be found within a mile or so down in the river bottoms.

I've never gotten the official lowdown on whether a mule deer and a whitetail can breed, but I have seen antlers with attributes of both.

I thought I'd share pics of the skull I found and see what you guys have to say about it.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 493
  • P3310198.JPG
    P3310198.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 490
  • P3310199.JPG
    P3310199.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 497
That is a pretty cool find. the main beams sure look like a whitetail but the g-5's dont curve in like one, just stays strait like a carp

According to my brother, who is a biologist with USF&W, mule deer does will breed with whitetail bucks, but whitetail does do not breed with muley bucks - the rut behavior is too different.

They do cross breed on occassion but the antlers are the least accurate indicator, other more accurate indicators would be the color of the tail and/or the size of the metatarsal gland. Which obviously you don't have, but yeah, by just looking at the horns you might have something...

I have pictures of a hybrid I shot a few years back....I'll see if i can dig them up.....

The buck had a typical 5 point whitetail rack, but it was super dark chocolate brown. He also had a short stubby head with the dark forehead patch like a muley.....huge muley ears, but white down the back of his legs and belly like a whitetail.....and the tail was white with the black tip just like a muley......I had the entire hide tanned too....should have actually had it mounted, but i decided to just do a euro and tan the hide instead...

I think this is a hybrid
451461.JPG

I've seen a few in Montana near the river bottoms. I think they mostly resemble a whitetail but they'll have the forked horn like a mulie.

When I was coming home from a moose hunt in Alberta I saw 14 mule deer does with the biggest 4x4 muley buck Ive ever seen and not twenty yards from him was a 5x5 whitetail.

My guess is that males will chase any tail they can possibly get. Kinda like a few guys around here! :)

here's one

i got this buck in a few years ago to mount. it was a whitetail body with just a muley tail. and the horns have a fork on both sides. body size was about 180lbs. it came the river bottoms by decker mt.:eek:
i think you can see which one he is. back buck with the twisted neck.

Attachments

• IM006632.JPG
    IM006632.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IM006633.JPG
    IM006633.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 3-12-06 003.jpg
    3-12-06 003.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 167
i got this buck in a few years ago to mount. it was a whitetail body with just a muley tail. and the horns have a fork on both sides. body size was about 180lbs. it came the river bottoms by decker mt.:eek:
i think you can see which one he is. back buck with the twisted neck.

Sweet buck and interesting form. cool...cool

I've seen a total of one deer in my life I feel confident I can call a hybrid. She was in an area that is very mixed between whiteys and mulies; although they do kind of segregate in the different habitats present. She displayed numerous mixed characteristics, ear size, face, tail, hide, and strange gait. It's been probably 3 years since I've seen her and only on one occasion.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back