PEAX Equipment

Mule Deer Behavior

kylemcintyre67

Since the draw results came out I have been getting fired up about this year's hunt. I drew New Mexico unit 24, rifle tag. November 6-11. Last year was my first mule deer hunt, unit 25 bow in September. I am hoping you all can answer my questions about how they will behaving in November. I realize that the rut action that far south is in January. Will the bucks be behaving more similar to my previous hunt in September, bachelor groups, not moving much, focused on food and water? Or will they be engaging in more pre-rut behavior? I learned last year that in September, they are not around the does at all. The caveat being I did find one buck and doe hanging out together far from any other deer. I am just wondering if I should ignore the does like last year or not? I live a couple hours away from the unit so I plan to scout as much as possible, I am concerned about the 14 day quarantine they have in place for non residents though. Not sure how that is going to impact my plans. Any input is appreciated.

Kyle, i'm in the same boat here. I pulled the first rifle hunt for unit 18. It's going to be tough going because there is so much spread out with pockets of great habitat for the Muley. From what I can tell with my research they won't around the does much at all and will be around first and last light like usual. Don't quote me, but it looks like that time of year they'll be in the draws and canyons more often than not, but i'm no expert yet. I'd love to hear more input as well. i've got a summer of research, scouting, and glassing ahead of me.

Fair enough. Good luck out there, 18 looks like it has the potential to be fun as well as frustrating. It all ends up being experience though.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back