PEAX Equipment

MT Traditional Muzzleloader Late Season

Cav1

For better than 20 years I had an old CVA .50-caliber Hawken replica an old friend gave me that I had never even shot. So I got it out this summer and got to shooting it with a friend who's big into blackpowder and rendezvous. I still had my deer "A" tag leftover from general rifle season, so I went out Sunday afternoon with the smokepole to try and find a nice buck in the rut during this late season.

I went to a local Block Management Area that's on top of a large, flat irrigated bench covered with hayfields and grain stubble. It was covered with whitetails, mulies, and a small herd of elk. With the spotter I saw the nicest mulie buck I've seen in years. So I scuttled up the irrigation ditch to a center pivot...the buck was bedded in the wide open near the end of the pivot. I was literally crawling on my belly from wheel to wheel up the pivot to get within range when the owner's grandson showed up on a snowmobile joy-riding all over the top of the bench for the better part of an hour and blowing all the deer and elk out the far end. Oh well, it is their land, and I supposed if I was a youngster with a snowmobile and 30-odd sections of family ranch to ride it on...

Back at the truck, I could see a good 40 whitetails, including a decent 5-point, crossing the field from the river bottom to the grain stubble. Back on my belly I went, crawling underneath the fence and through the snow and sagebrush to intercept and get within range. I set up in a little patch of willows and got ready. The deer were already across the fence onto the BMA and I was just waiting as they meandered across and closed the range. Naturally, when there was about 20 minutes of shooting light left, someone in a big noisy Diesel pickup with the radio blaring so loud I could hear it decided to cruise up and down the ranch road atop the bench. Sure enough, that blew all those deer out and back into the river bottom timber.

So, thus far, just from this first trip, I have to say late muzzleloader season is pretty much just the same as general rifle season.

Keep at it. At least you are seeing good animals in abundance. Sooner or later you will get lucky, or at least your incredibly bad luck will go away.

So, thus far, just from this first trip, I have to say late muzzleloader season is pretty much just the same as general rifle season.

This statement is a bit dramatic. Think of it this way: There is no chance you would have gotten 2 stalks in on animals visible on a stubble bench or even stubble near a creek bottom on Block Management during the general season. Those animals (probably) would not have been in the open during the general season, and in the small chance they were, there would have been bullets flying from (basically) trucks wherever they could pull out.

Sounds like a good day afield to me.

For better than 20 years I had an old CVA .50-caliber Hawken replica an old friend gave me that I had never even shot. So I got it out this summer and got to shooting it with a friend who's big into blackpowder and rendezvous. I still had my deer "A" tag leftover from general rifle season, so I went out Sunday afternoon with the smokepole to try and find a nice buck in the rut during this late season.

I went to a local Block Management Area that's on top of a large, flat irrigated bench covered with hayfields and grain stubble. It was covered with whitetails, mulies, and a small herd of elk. With the spotter I saw the nicest mulie buck I've seen in years. So I scuttled up the irrigation ditch to a center pivot...the buck was bedded in the wide open near the end of the pivot. I was literally crawling on my belly from wheel to wheel up the pivot to get within range when the owner's grandson showed up on a snowmobile joy-riding all over the top of the bench for the better part of an hour and blowing all the deer and elk out the far end. Oh well, it is their land, and I supposed if I was a youngster with a snowmobile and 30-odd sections of family ranch to ride it on...

Back at the truck, I could see a good 40 whitetails, including a decent 5-point, crossing the field from the river bottom to the grain stubble. Back on my belly I went, crawling underneath the fence and through the snow and sagebrush to intercept and get within range. I set up in a little patch of willows and got ready. The deer were already across the fence onto the BMA and I was just waiting as they meandered across and closed the range. Naturally, when there was about 20 minutes of shooting light left, someone in a big noisy Diesel pickup with the radio blaring so loud I could hear it decided to cruise up and down the ranch road atop the bench. Sure enough, that blew all those deer out and back into the river bottom timber.

You must have better luck than I do seeing critters in general rifle. I never see anything I want to make a stalk on.

All good points, guys. I just needed to vent some frustration. I went back one day and blew my own stalk because I'm too old and fat to low crawl within smokepole range. Prolly give it one last hoo-rah today. Start early and ski back to the cover of the sagebrush draws on the very far side of the bench and wait and see what comes out. Getting a good idea of where they like to feed. And I really have been seeing a whole lot more bucks and much nicer ones than I saw during general rifle season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back