PEAX Equipment

MT Tendoys Bighorn depopulation proposal

katqanna

Jan 15th the FWP Commission will have 2 proposals going forward concerning an experimental depopulation of a bighorn herd that had previously had a major dieoff and is what they call lingering with low lamb recruitment. Later they would restock.

One proposal is to change the HD 315 bighorn sheep season structure to utilize hunters for the removals.

The second is to capture the bighorns for research facilities in a number of states for study.

From my conversation with Craig Fager late All, early winter, he said the Tendoys had a population of about 50-75 bighorns. From the population survey data I requested (2013 and 14 was not tabulated).
2007 13E, 5L, 7R = T 25
2008 13 E, 1L, 10R = T22
2009 21E, 5L, 4R = T30
2010 15E, 5L, 5R = T25
2011 ?E, 2L, ?R = T45
2012 22E, 5L, 3R = T30

Many herds of Big Horn Sheep get the disease and then come back. I think there's another reason.
There must be constant contact with domestics in that area.

If we're talking about.the Tendoys west of Dell and Lima there are some domestic sheep but their miles away but still could have been in contact with the wild sheep. Hanson livestock usually runs their sheep on the Medicine Lodge side towards Morison Lake. I'm not sure if Hanson still have any sheep left but they were suppose to get out of the sheep business two years ago.

Hansens sold off thier sheep

If they let hunters cull this herd its not going to be pretty. anyone with a tag better have one in thier sights before the shooting starts....No thanks

This is why my official policy is to stick to non-controversial things like buffalo!!
Although other members of our group have had significant input in this issue, science based.
At least last night we had an amazing event, and packed the Emerson. I'm used to doing Farmers Markets, but "manning" the raffle table there was amazing. Gotta hand it to Nancy for organizing that event, and I'm told she even won one of the raffles!!
http://gallatinwildlifeassociation.org

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back