Yeti GOBOX Collection

MT school trust land question

Hunts

I found a section I want to hunt but when I checked it with Google Earth I was surprised to see 3-4 ranches/farms in the section. Not sure how to proceed. I used a FS National Forest map and my GPS to verify that it is, in fact, school trust land. Not sure if I can legally access and hunt (birds). Any suggestions appreciated.

Steve H

I can think of a couple that have old ranch buildings on them that I hunt. Never been questioned but if you are unsure the region fwp can tell you for sure

Go to Montana FWP and get an access guide to State lands. It will spell out if, when, and how you may access state sections. You will also need a State Lands Recreation Use permit, which is purchased from FWP.

We've also come across this situation and asked the warden about it. He said it is illegal to shoot within 1/4 mile of an occupied dwelling without permission. I know of a couple of sections of state land with occupied residences on or right up against them that are essentially closed to hunting because of this. Definitely check the State lands access guide, or ask the local warden.

1/4 mile from a occupied building IS ONLY 440 yards...
I have hunted state land which is most the time a section that is a mile square.
Just don't shoot toward the building/equipment, cattle and try to be courteous , don't shoot when the little kids are out waiting for the school buss. Things like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back