Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

MT- Rifle Opener

williaada

Have a question for people who are familiar with the Western portion of MT. Will most of the bulls be looking for sanctuary or will the bulls still be hanging around cows around the opening of rifle?

The big bulls definitely get their nut and bounce quick. You might see smaller bulls, I didn’t take the shot on a nice 5x5 two seasons ago because I was worried about boundary lines but like samuel said, once rifle season hits, good luck!

In my experience, most bulls and cows will be on private and places most people won't be when the orange army starts. I see this happening towards the end of archery season as we get over ran with people, and when the orange army arrives, it's a complete shit show. Now will there be elk around, yep, but not like it is before the seasons open.

In my experience, opening weekend elk will still be in their herds then after the pressure hits they break up until its get cold and snowy toward later in November. My first bull was in a bachelor group but within a mile of large cow herd, that was an opening weekend hunt. Hope this helps!

Herd bulls bounce, there will be a few young and dumb satellites hanging around the ladies! I would for sure stop and glass up a herd of cows if I saw one to make sure there wasn't anything in there I wanted before moving on. I've watched herd bulls in two different years just disappear 24 hours before the opener. Somehow they just know!

Get out early on the first day. Probably find a few bulls with their cows, but most will hole up in places that make you cringe.

We got into a herd with 4-5 bulls with a bunch of cows ,last year , towards the end of season. no big bulls biggest was a 5 point

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back