MT Elk Non Res

Eye King

Hello all, I'm new to this board and elk hunting in general. (went to colorado when I was real young, really had no clue what was going on. lol)

My question(s) is.....I am wanting to go elk hunting in montana. I have a friend that just moved back to Missoula this summer. We would like to do an elk hunt and stay at his place. We are rifle and bow hunters so either would be fine. I see that you draw a general big game combo then put in for special draws.

-Do you have to specify a unit when putting in for a special draw?
-How do yo ufigure out the general units and special units? (Fish n Game Website confuses me)
-What areas for both special and general are most favorable to get a decent bull with reletively decent drawing odds? (We will obviously be DIY hunt)
-Are the units split up, some general for archry but not rifle?

I'm sure I will have many more ?s but this is a start. :)

Thanks in advance!!!
Chris

-Do you have to specify a unit when putting in for a special draw?

Yes

-How do yo ufigure out the general units and special units? (Fish n Game Website confuses me)

These two links will tell you everything you need to know. If you're going to come hunt here, you really need to take the time and understand the regulations.

http://fwpiis.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=49450
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/

-What areas for both special and general are most favorable to get a decent bull with reletively decent drawing odds? (We will obviously be DIY hunt)

Special rifle tags are hard to draw, especially for nonresidents. Archery tags are easier, but there's more competition if you draw. There's only one special permit that you can hunt from Missoula, and it's an early season backcountry tag you'd want to either backpack in and camp or use horses.

-Are the units split up, some general for archry but not rifle?

Almost every unit that is special draw for rifle, is also special draw for archery, although sometimes they're separate permits with a lot higher odds on the archery tag.

If you're hunting around Missoula, elk is going to be on a general tag. You're also going to be pretty limited and frustrated hunting elk out of town. It's a big town in the middle of some pretty poor elk hunting. Demand is way higher than supply.

If I were going to do it I'd try to get a deer tag too. Lots of good public land deer hunting right outside of town.

I agree with what Randy posted (sort of).

Missoula is not the best place to hunt out of, that's for sure. There are a lot of people here and many of us are elk crazy. Most hunters in my little town havee never shot an elk. These are people with elk tattoos and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation plates. They carry .338's and are really elk people. Or, at least they want to be.

We have a 10-15% success rate on elk and many of those that are successful are the same people every year. Hunters that really know what the elk are doing or those lucky enough to have great private land situations. Many people that do get lucky every year travel to hunt.All I can say is that I am out almost everyday and hiking my butt off. I train and scout all year long and it is no easy task to fill my tag.

Go elk hunting and have fun. It's a great adventure. But, have realistic expectations. Most people do not get an elk. Any elk is a trophy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back