MT early Nov COW elk tactics

Clawsar

Hey everyone,
Have failed again to get an elk with my bow I grabbed the nearest OTC cow elk tag (Region 2, BMAs only for me) to try and get it done with a rifle. I’m heading south next Thursday and Friday as those are the only times I could get free. The trouble is in all my learnings in the last few years, I haven’t seen jack about focused hunting of cow elk. Does anyone have tips, tactics, strategies? I don’t know if there will be snow or not consistently on the ground and the spots I’m thinking of aren’t super open for glassing.

There’s been a good bit of cow elk pics showing up recently so I’m hoping there are some gurus willing to share their wisdom. I do have a bull tag as well but with the limited number of days, I’m just trying to fill the freezer.

Thanks!

I filled my first cow tag using a lost calf call. Second week of October and the bulls were making a ton of noise. I moved within a few hundred yards of a bull that was bugling and started calling short and fast calf sounds. I had 5 cows come straight at me out of the thick brush all calling. Watch out for the lead cow - she will try to get wind first.

May not work in November but worth a try. I would look for fresh sign first obviously.

The elk in my area have been silent and most of them have moved to private land since the invasion of the orange army. As for tactics, I just spot and stalk them mostly, but the last week or so has been disappointing, as most elk I've seen are on private that's closed to hunting.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back