MT area 410 questions..

jore07

My dad and I were up on opening weekend since we both drew cow tags. I had to get back to work after about 3 days though. We did see some critters so that was nice. A few spikes, 2 young bulls, a couple nice bulls that would have resulted in an entirely different post if we had different tags, and a couple small bucks but no cows. So now I have the rest of the season off and we are leaving on Wednesday the 20th and staying until the end of the season if we have to. I had some questions for anyone that may have been in the area recently.

Did you see anything elk or deer? I am not looking for specific areas or anything just basic activity level.

Any signs of the deer rut?

Any moisture recently? I know some of those area roads get horrible if any precipitation hits.

How was the crowd? It seemed to me that an above average number of hunters for that area were present opening weekend.

Any success on your hunt?

Anyone else planning to be in the area around then?

Any help is appreciated. Again I am not looking for specific spots or anything just a bit of information or whatever you are willing to share. Thank you.

Last edited:
It snowed last night...not sure if it amounted to much over there or not. I was not hunting but while we were out there last Wednesday, we did not see any deer or elk which was odd to us. 2 weeks ago a large herd of elk were on a property that does not allow access and they seemed to know it.

2 weeks ago a large herd of elk were on a property that does not allow access and they seemed to know it.

We had a similar experience during our first trip. The elk did not care at all that we were there. They seemed to know they were safe on that chunk. I'd guess that it was about 50-60 mixed small bulls and cows.

I was just up there for 2 days and didn't see an elk, and this is an area I chase elk during the bow season. Not sure where to go to fill my cow tag?

Was up there last week and had 2 deer hunters ask me if I had a cow tag for that unit. They had both spotted cows not far from the campground. I didn't have the tag, never found out how far not far was.

Thanks for the help guys. We are actually leaving today going to go get camp set up before weather moves in on Wednesday. Good luck to everyone on the rest of the season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back