MR Sawtooth 45?

RyanSoNorCal

Any thoughts on the MR Sawtooth 45? Looking for a daypack-overnighter. Also looking at the SG 3200, EXO K3 1800, a couple Kifaru’s as well as every other pack ever made🤣..

I won’t be much help. I bought the Sawtooth after my hunting season was over this year so I haven’t had the chance to officially try it out. For what it’s worth, I will say it was easy to fit to me and seems to be extremely well made.

In my inexperienced opinion, it does seem to be able to hold more than a day’s supplies. I’ve always imagined that if you’re running out of space inside the pack, you can start strapping stuff to the outside.

Sorry, I noticed that the second time I read it. It seems to be a pretty good size. I bet you could put enough in there to make you wish you hadn’t put so much in there. I think you could just about cram a whole, quartered and boned out mule deer in there...mostly on the shelf with maybe some other pieces strapped on or put inside.

Hunted with the sawtooth this year and liked it. While never used it overnight for hunting, I did use it for a two night backpack trip in Yellowstone this past summer. It had plenty of room.

I originally purchased a Metcalf but quickly realized it wasn’t for me so I bought the sawtooth as a day pack alternative. Plenty of room for all my gear and could fit my 2 man tent in it as well.

Personally I like the zipper open design better than the tradition bag style and will buy a Beartooth before my 2021 backcountry Hunt. While the sawtooth is big enough for a night or two I don’t know if I’d go much more than that with it.

As far as game shelf load capacity, it will hold more than you will want to carry.

Personally I like the zipper open design better than the tradition bag style and will buy a Beartooth before my 2021 backcountry Hunt. While the sawtooth is big enough for a night or two I don’t know if I’d go much more than that with it.
I have the Sawtooth 45, but, have not hunted nor camped on it. Coming from the 3DAP and Pintler, I found the corner zipper portion annoying when packed fully and unsure how long before those corners would start separating. kinda like a review/impression

I got the sawtooth for my first pack. I haven’t used it to pack meat out, but I have loaded it with a hang on stand and climbing sticks as well as enough gear for a full day hunt. Handled the weight well and is easy to keep organized. If you hunt whitetails, it’s great in the treestand, as well.

A few photos with the pack loaded with various paraphernalia

Attachments

• 1880BC9A-6CFD-406F-BF58-B125A77B285A.jpeg
    1880BC9A-6CFD-406F-BF58-B125A77B285A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 9AC97F3E-51FA-4B1C-A203-10EAD2CC844C.jpeg
    9AC97F3E-51FA-4B1C-A203-10EAD2CC844C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • 7B880850-7B60-42A9-B4FE-3EB43925640F.jpeg
    7B880850-7B60-42A9-B4FE-3EB43925640F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
My main pack is a stone glacier 5900 which I love, for day hunts with the ability to pack an animal out I picked up the sawtooth 45. Last season I used it to pack out 3 deer and was very happy with how it worked.

I originally purchased a Metcalf but quickly realized it wasn’t for me so I bought the sawtooth as a day pack alternative. Plenty of room for all my gear and could fit my 2 man tent in it as well.

As far as game shelf load capacity, it will hold more than you will want to carry.
A Beartooth is on my wishlist as well. I've heard good things about the new frame!

I got the sawtooth for my first pack. I haven’t used it to pack meat out, but I have loaded it with a hang on stand and climbing sticks as well as enough gear for a full day hunt. Handled the weight well and is easy to keep organized. If you hunt whitetails, it’s great in the treestand, as well.
Have you tried the treehouse yet? I saw your other thread and the treehouse helps a lot while in the stand!

Bought a Sawtooth 45 before my first elk hunt last fall. Although I didn't get to pack any meat with it, I did take it on some long day hikes with plenty of elevation gain and temperature swings. I found all the pockets to be very functional and the big zipper made digging out the clothing and gear I wanted super easy! The new MR pop up 38 looks like it will be a pretty sweet daypack option though.

Have you tried the treehouse yet? I saw your other thread and the treehouse helps a lot while in the stand!

I haven’t tried it, but it was one of the packs I was considering. Went with the sawtooth for the ability to pack out meat — some of the state land I hunt would be a pretty long, rugged drag. It can be a real pain in the tree though, especially when you need something from the bottom of the pack.

Maybe I need to add one to my gear pile... 😎

I haven’t tried it, but it was one of the packs I was considering. Went with the sawtooth for the ability to pack out meat — some of the state land I hunt would be a pretty long, rugged drag. It can be a real pain in the tree though, especially when you need something from the bottom of the pack.

Maybe I need to add one to my gear pile... 😎
You can never have too many guns, boots or packs! 😎😎

Anyone tried to use MRs detachable lid to add some extra space to the Sawtooth? I think with the extra 10L it would probably work as a 3-4 night pack as long as you’re beIng smart about what you bring. Thoughts?

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back