Yeti GOBOX Collection

MR Pop-up 28 or 38

Mako

Hello Looking for a pack for day hunts. I'll be hunting white-tail and eventually black bear. I'm in SoCal, so I will primarily be doing day hunts and am wondering if one of these will be enough to help pack out most of the meat? Also, looks like the 28 has a foldout frame while the 38 is a telescoping frame. I'm thinking the telescoping frame would be a little more robust than the fold-out since there are no hinges that can possibly be stressed by any weight/tension that may be pulling on the upper part of the frame when extended.

Any other similar packs you guys would suggest?

I have the older version of the 28. The storage is too small for me for all but the most bare-bones day hunt. It does carry loads quite well.

I have the 28 as well. I packed out half of my bear this spring ( had a buddy) and an entire antelope a few weeks ago. It is small and compact and works great as a daypack and I bet it would be adequate for deer, but if I make it back to the truck and have to go back for another load I would for sure prefer to haul heavy quarters with my MR Crew Cab.

I have a 28 and it has the telescoping frame. I believe this is the new design but could be wrong

You are correct. Their website says the 28 uses a "new... telescoping frame." The video I originally saw on the 28 on YT was a few years old. At the time of that video, I don't think the 38 existed. They probably revised the frame when the 38 was in the works so they could use the same frame for both packs as it would undoubtedly be more cost effiective for them to do so.

I have the 38, and feel like the bag is “Goldilocks just right“ size for my use.

Anyone that has the 38, is there room for storage between the lid and main part of the pack body? I hunt from a truck camp or close to it, so I don't need a full size pack but if I did feel compelled to spend a night away from base I'd like to be able to. I can fit my hammock, straps, sleeping bag, and tarp in a standard compression sack. Is there enough room for that?

@CowboyLeroy The 38 has a pocket outside the main bag below the lid that would fit the hammock and straps, small tarp. I don’t think it would be large enough for the sleeping bag as well. Put it does have the capability to expand the bag away from the frame and allow for a large volume of material to be carried (meat, camp gear, etc), ie a meat shelf.

I would suggest the Kuiu 2300 or 3600 Pro. Had the MR 38 for 2 weeks put some weight in it and went for 2.5mile hike and it was miserable after the 1st mile. And with Kuiu there frame and suspension are compatible with all old and new bags and with multiple sizes for any range or length of hunts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back