MR Metcalf and H2O

savagebowhunter

Anyone using an H2O bladder with their Metcalf backpack? If so, what’s the best way? If not, what do you recommend for carrying water? I’ll be using it as a day pack. Need enough water for all day spot and stalk Elk rifle hunting in CO. Thanks!

All the time. Fill it and hang it. As I recall, doesn’t the Metcalf have either a sleeve and or a loop to hang from? My Longbow didn’t, and I just made a loop out of p cord.

I prefer water bottles in my MR Metcalf, especially if used as a daypack. Admittedly with an aversion to potential problems with bladders, it seems much easier and simple to clean, rinse, and refill water bottles, as well as use a water filter pump.

it seems much easier and simple to clean, rinse, and refill water bottles, as well as use a water filter pump.

My Katadyn will hook up directly to the Camelback hose. Easy as pie. Don’t have to open the bag at all.

Playtpus 3L bladder, inusluated hose, Sawyer quick disconnect just before the bite valve. I fill with a platypus squeeze bag, using the filter if needed.

I've never had an issue with bladders. I wouldn't be adverse to them and they are easier to use.

Playtpus 3L bladder, inusluated hose, Sawyer quick disconnect just before the bite valve. I fill with a platypus squeeze bag, using the filter if needed.

I've never had an issue with bladders. I wouldn't be adverse to them and they are easier to use.
This is what I was looking for. Thanks!

I like using bottles and using the interior bladder pocket for other stuff like kill kit and meat bags.

Platypus 2 liter hooks right in perfect and is more than enough water for a day in the field for me. I feel like the bladders help me conserve water because I can't just guzzle it down. Its so convenient that it'd be hard to go back to bottles, but luckily I've never had a leak issue.

Platypus 2 liter hooks right in perfect and is more than enough water for a day in the field for me. I feel like the bladders help me conserve water because I can't just guzzle it down. Its so convenient that it'd be hard to go back to bottles, but luckily I've never had a leak issue.

I've always been told to not conserve or ration water. Drink when you are thirsty and look to replenish stores. At least that's what my camping mentor taught, in his mind dehydration was the #1 danger one faces in backcountry.

My Katadyn will hook up directly to the Camelback hose. Easy as pie. Don’t have to open the bag at all.
Like You put dirty water in your bladder then it goes through the filter, into the hose and to you? Cause that would be awesome...

Like You put dirty water in your bladder then it goes through the filter, into the hose and to you? Cause that would be awesome...

LOL no. You take off the mouthpiece and pump from the source into the hose, into the bladder.

LOL no. You take off the mouthpiece and pump from the source into the hose, into the bladder.

Yeah I’m waiting for someone to put a life straw in the middle of the hose. As is the life straw is pretty much useless. If the water cleaning device does not allow you to carry 3 liters of water with you and clean said water then what’s the point.

I've done the whole drink from a puddle with a life straw thing, and while I understand it's purpose, water that tastes like mud, and leaves you with a vague sense of smelling urine sucks. I'd rather filter into a container that I can mitigate all that with a little crystal light...but I'm kind of a sissy that way.

I run the Platypus 2L bladder in my Metcalf. I always carry a 1L platypus collapsible bottle rather I use it or not for water shortage areas. Nalgene are good for putting cigars in.

Back