Caribou Gear

Moved from MT to SoCal; looking for hunt opportunities & friends

MooseCaboose

Hey all.

So I made the move this winter so I haven't missed out on a big game season yet. But I'm trying to assess what hunt opportunities I have down here. I'm looking for things to hunt with my bow. I moved to LA for school so it's a short term arrangement.

I'm going to try and get a deer tag and I went pig hunting once already. I'm looking into the spring turkey.

What I need advice on is where, if any, are good places to hunt public land? Is it worth hunting? Are there reliable ways to get access to private?

Also I'd love to make some like minded hunting acquaintances down here, so if you know anyone or of any good clubs, pass it along.

Just trying to make the most of where I find myself at this moment.

Cleveland and Los Padres NF are some options as well as some BLM to the east of you. There is a long either sex archery season down there too.

Most of the hunting is tough, hot and dry but it is there. If you head north a bit there are opportunities from Paso Robles to Coalinga.

If you like craft beer my sister brother in law and another couple just opened a new micro brewery in Torrance.

They soft opened on Sunday last week and they are going to be open Sat. and Sunday this week.

God help you in LA. I am not a fan to many people. My dad has done a bunch of day fishing trips out of Redondo Beach and he really likes those.

I know duck hunting can be really good in spots.

Ditto the Paso to Coalinga area,plus the Big Sur. Hunter/Leggett Military Base. Deer,Turkey,pigs,Tule elk.
Check out The Outdoors Forum. Lots of CA guys.

How long do you expect to be in CA? I have good public land deer hunting advice for you, depending on your answer...

If you have more time than money go public. Take a look at zones D13, D11 and A zone. Los Padres and the other national forests can be good, especially if you bow hunt, not as crowded. Look at the either sex archery hunts also. Weather can be 100 degrees plus for some of the seasons. Look for recent burns on the inciweb site and hunt them.

If you have more money than time, look up Tejon ranch for hunting close to LA. Be ready to pony up $$$$ for their hunt club memberships. Wilderness unlimited and Golden Ram are two other hunt clubs but honestly they are too far north for you.

Good luck, you will enjoy hunting the pacific hybrids.

Thanks for the replies. I definitely have more time than I do money at this point. I just have a hunger to hunt that must be satiated somehow. Even if it's just taking my bow for a walk. I just have to to be out there.

Are there places to hunt pigs on private or public? Do landowners see them as a nuisance here? I've never taken one with a bow so it's a new challenge.

I do enjoy craft beer so I will look into that.

Also while on the topic, are there any particularly onerous or weird hunting laws here that I should be aware of considering I come from Montana?

If you have a little coin, look into some long range or mid range fishing, out of Long Beach or San Diego. The fishing is good, and something you won't be able to do once you go back to Montana. The hunting options are probably pretty limited, and already listed. I'm sure they will pale in comparison to where you come from. Once you get North of Sacramento, your options open up some, but that is a pretty substantial drive.

How long do you expect to be in CA? I have good public land deer hunting advice for you, depending on your answer...

Deep country I will be here 3 years for school and then possibly a couple years after that for work. Then I'll be on the move to new pastures. DM me if this is an answer you were looking for.

Take a look at zones D13, D11 and A zone. Los Padres and the other national forests can be good, especially if you bow hunt, not as crowded. Look at the either sex archery hunts also. Weather can be 100 degrees plus for some of the seasons. Look for recent burns on the inciweb site and hunt them.

Thank you, I appreciate the tactical advice. Do you have any other strategical insight?

Am I looking to glass them up and then stalk them in their beds? Or should I try to locate them and then set up on a likely travel corridor for an evening ambush?

I've done it both ways hunting whitetail and mule deer in Montana, but I have no clue about how best to handle the deer down here. From what I have seen of terrain, glassing can be difficult. But I should be able to set up over burns, that is a good tip. My inclination is that these deer behave more like whitetails and that setting up and ambush would be a better bet than trying to stalk into range of a bedded deer.

I appreciate thoughts from any and all who have ever hunted the deer in this region.

Also while on the topic, are there any particularly onerous or weird hunting laws here that I should be aware of considering I come from Montana?

We now entering phase 2 of the lead ban for hunting ammunition. You'll now have to use organic, free range, hormone free copper bullets.

Kidding aside, the CA DFW website is pretty good in terms of rules and such if you don't mind reading for 5 minutes or so on an issue. Most people just like to complain on Facebook that the Department is overrrun with liberals. :)

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/hunting/nonlead-ammunition

You can get two buck tags in California and if you play your cards right you can start hunting at early as Mid-July and go into December. Plus pigs are year round so there is always something to hunt here and have a tag in your pocket.

Thank you, I appreciate the tactical advice. Do you have any other strategical insight?

Am I looking to glass them up and then stalk them in their beds? Or should I try to locate them and then set up on a likely travel corridor for an evening ambush?

I've done it both ways hunting whitetail and mule deer in Montana, but I have no clue about how best to handle the deer down here. From what I have seen of terrain, glassing can be difficult. But I should be able to set up over burns, that is a good tip. My inclination is that these deer behave more like whitetails and that setting up and ambush would be a better bet than trying to stalk into range of a bedded deer.

I appreciate thoughts from any and all who have ever hunted the deer in this region.

Glassing can be tough in thick chaparral, however burns of 10s or 100s of thousands of acres are not uncommon and can be great. You can glass for miles in those areas.

Personally I have taken all my deer still hunting but my hunting partners have taken many deer ambushing them from a cliff top. Waiting at travel routes or near water (if legal) is usually the way to go. For bow this is probably a good idea if you are patient.

Also, hunt all day, we've taken more deer in the late morning and middle of the day than any other time. Bucks will sneak out for a drink in the late morning. Midday, ridgelines can be great to catch bucks catching a cool breeze.

+1 on above advice.
You can get 2 tags . There are blacktails too.Lot's of Pacific/coastal & CA mule deer & hybreds and subspieces. From little dune deer to full mulies.
It will be hot with thick PO and chaparral/oaks in Azone. But you can hunt all day still hunting or watching near water, a saddle/ridgeline and on edges of portreros....open grass meadows or parks . Edges of burns are excellent. Use 8x30 or 10x40 glass in thick stuff.
Most of my tags were filled mid-day too.
I lived and hunted/fished there 45 yrs. Took 27 blacktails & 35 mulie bucks,mostly in Azone.

2 tags a year near home for 35 yrs helps.
I just went 1 for 7 years here in NM being picky on deer.....good thing I like eating elk even more.
PM me if you wish. I know a couple spots that might still be good.

Last edited:
Sent you a DM, can help you in central D Zones, X zones and a few others. I know southern A zone as well.

Genral rule out here is go to the end of a dirt road and hike 2 miles, that is where the deer are.

Cheers

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back